Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Subject College buildings -- Planning Remove constraint Subject: College buildings -- Planning
Number of results to display per page
View results as:

Search Results

Collection

Building Reference collection, 1972 - 2004 3.5 Linear Feet — 4,000 Items

The Building Reference Collection contains files of clippings, images, publications, specifications, and other materials about the Duke University campus, including dormitories, classroom buildings, gymnasiums, stadiums, facilities, statues, and landmarks. Some files include information about the people after whom particular buildings were named. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.
Collection
The Educational Facilities Committee at Duke University was created in 1962 as a standing committee of the University Committee on Long-Range Planning. The Educational Facilities Committee was appointed by the President and concerned itself with supplying adequate educational facilities to meet the needs of educational programs. In 1986, the Educational Facilities Committee and the Chancellor's Environmental Concerns Committee were combined to form the University Committee on Facilities and Environment. Committee chairs include Frank T. de Vyver (1962-1974), Frederick C. Joerg (acting 1969, 1972), George W. Williams (1974-1981), George Pearsall (acting 1977), and Calvin Ward (1981-1986). The collection consists of correspondence, memoranda, reports, minutes, clippings, charts, projections, blueprints, and maps of the Educational Facilities Committee. Major subjects include student housing and dining facilities, the Arts Center, landscaping, the Medical Center, the Art Museum, auditoria, libraries, space assignment and relocation, athletic facilities, and the University Center. English.

The collection consists of records relating to the building, renovation, and maintenance of the physical plant of the University, as addressed by the Committee. Correspondence, memoranda, reports (typed and annotated), minutes, clippings, charts, projections, blueprints, and maps comprise the collection. There exists some material that predates and postdates the span dates of this collection. Although most of the material was created during the general functioning of the Committee, there exists some material not produced by this organization. This material includes letters, reports, booklets, and clippings. Major subjects include student life (dorms, dining halls, student center), the Arts Center, landscaping, the Medical Center, the Art Museum, auditoria, libraries, space assignment and relocation, athletic facilities, and the University Union.

Collection
Online
Frank Clyde Brown (1870-1943) served as Professor of English at Trinity College and Duke University, and as Comptroller and University Marshall of Duke University. He oversaw the initial construction of Duke University's West Campus and the renovation of East Campus. Brown also founded the North Carolina Folklore Society. The Frank C. Brown Papers contain correspondence, logs, diaries, reports, lantern slides, notebooks, clippings, a scrapbook, and other materials. While some papers relate to teaching and English department activities, the bulk of the collection concerns the construction of Duke University, including correspondence with the Horace Trumbauer architectural firm, builder and manufacturer information, construction progress reports, travel diaries of visits to other campuses, and records of James B. Duke's views on architecture and involvement in campus planning. English.

The Frank C. Brown Papers include both Personal papers and Subject files relating to his career as a student, professor, and folklorist and also to his role in the construction of the Duke University campuses. The Personal papers series includes correspondence, biographical information, writings, addresses, lectures, clippings, diaries, coursework, blueprints, and slides. It includes correspondence with the Horace Trumbauer architectural firm, manufacturers' literature, construction progress reports, diaries of trips made in 1924 and 1926 to look at other campuses, and a lantern slide presentation on the campus. This series contains records documenting James B. Duke's views on architecture and his involvement in the planning of the campus. Also present is a diary/scrapbook kept by Brown and President William Preston Few during a 1924 tour during which they visited some twenty colleges and universities around the Eastern United States.

The Subject files series contains the alphabetical office files of Frank C. Brown. The bulk of the files pertain to the construction of the Duke University campuses and include information on planning, design, building materials, furnishings, builders, manufacturers, and vendors. A few items interfiled in the Subject files series relate to Brown's activities as a faculty member and as a member of professional and academic organizations.

Collection
The University Architect, as well as the individuals in the Office of the University Architect, serve to meet the master planning, project management, design services, capital budgeting, real estate, and space planning needs of Duke University. Records include financial reports, project files, proposals, inspection reports, photographs, technical drawings, correspondence, minutes, agendas, and campus master plans related to construction and renovation projects, land use, space management, and planning at Duke University. English.

Collection includes financial reports, project files, proposals, inspection reports, photographs, technical drawings, correspondence, minutes, agendas, and campus master plans related to construction and renovation projects, land use, space management, and planning at Duke University.