The School of Law dates its origins as far back as 1850. The school experienced many organizational changes and several temporary closures in its early years before re-establishing itself as the School of Law in 1904. This collection includes papers of deans of the law school in 1930 and continuing forward. Also included are materials related to the law school's publications, the Duke Bar Association, legal research centers, the law library, Richard Nixon's time as a student at the law school and general administrative files dating back to 1914.
This collection includes papers of the deans of the School of Law starting in 1930. This material covers a wide range of information relating to the daily operations of the law school and includes: general correspondence, financial documents, annual reports, recruitment files, clerkship files, clippings, subject files, meeting minutes, development materials, and general office files. The collection also includes information about the various law school journals and publications edited and created by both students and faculty. Administrative files date back to 1914 and include: blank exams, financial documents, correspondence, placement bulletins, and other general files. Topics include legal education, Richard Nixon, administration, faculty, students, alumni, university presidents and administrators, the American Bar Association, the American Association of Law Schools, the school's Legal Aid Clinic, and law library.