Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Subject Stained glass windows -- North Carolina -- Durham Remove constraint Subject: Stained glass windows -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Gothic revival (Architecture) -- North Carolina -- Durham Remove constraint Subject: Gothic revival (Architecture) -- North Carolina -- Durham

Search Results

collection icon
online icon
The Duke Chapel is the central focus of Duke University's West Campus, a Gothic-style church completed in 1935. The book Duke Chapel Illuminated, consisting of numerous photographs of the Chapel including the stained glass windows, carvings and statues, and other details, was published in 2001. The collection includes photographs taken for the creation of the book, especially of the stained glass windows, statues, and carvings in, and views of, the chapel, as well as some material about the production of the book.

The collection includes photographs taken for the creation of the book Duke Chapel Illuminated as well as some materials related to the production of the book. The majority of the photographs are of the stained glass windows, statues, and carvings in, and views of the chapel; also included are photographs of events in and around the chapel, as well as images from the Duke University Archives of people, events, and scenes from the history of the Chapel. A small amount of material related to the layout and production of the book Duke Chapel Illuminated is also included.

The book The Architecture of Duke University by William Blackburn, 1939, was used to number and identify the stained glass windows, as well as provide information on the location of statues and carvings. A digital copy of this book is available via HathiTrust.