This collection is comprised of architectural drawings and reproduced architectural drawings of buildings on the Duke University campus and nearby. The dates of this collection range from 1924 to 1952, with the bulk of material from 1926-1938.
A number of Related Collections also contain building specifications, daily work logs, financial ledgers, contracts, and general correspondence for most buildings. Correspondence (often including specifications) exchanged primarily between Horace Trumbauer, William O. Frank, Julian Abele, and Frank Clyde Brown (Duke University Comptroller), S.W. Myatt (Assistant to the President) and A.C. Lee (Chief Engineer for Duke University Building) about general construction at Duke University. Additionally, published building specifications can be found in the library catalog. Other blueprints, sketches, and drawings are folded and interfiled among established collections and within the Operations and Maintenance Department Records. General building specifications, plans for proposed buildings, daily work logs, financial ledgers, contracts, and general correspondence are located in the Operations and Maintenance Department Records, as well as the Frank C. Brown Papers. Bound volumes of published building specifications are stored in the University Archives book collection. Photographs of buildings and architectural sketches and drawings are located in the Photograph Collection. Biographical information about Horace Trumbauer and Julian Abele can be found in the Biographical Reference Collection. The Building Reference Collection contains related information about campus buildings.
The Trinity Park School Collection includes bound volumes, print materials, and photographs. The Bound Volumes Series contains accounting ledgers, a grade book, minute books, and a roll book. Trinity Park School's annual catalogs have been removed and cataloged separately. These materials offer insight into the students at the school, their courses of study, and their financial situations.
The second series, Print Materials, contains financial information, correspondence, illustrated booklets, and other documents related to Trinity Park School.
The third series, F.S. Aldridge Papers, contains the correspondence of the headmaster of Trinity Park School. It dates primarily from 1921 and 1922, when the school was closed.
The final series, Photographs, includes photos of students, faculty, buildings, and other images from the school. Oversized photographs can also be found in this series.
Ledger B contains accounts of the Methodist and Quaker families that formed Union Institute and later supported Normal College and Trinity College. There are accounts for Brantley York, for all of the signers of the constitution of the Union Institute Society, and for the faculty of the school. The bulk of the entries date from the 1830s.
Records include twenty-six original documents, deeds, and an easement reflecting the legal transactions for land and properties bought and sold in Durham and Orange Counties. The scope and content for each item includes, if known, location of each deed's registration in the official deed book by name/number, and page number, its registration date, and an abbreviated description of the property taken from the original document.
The Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection consists of publicly-distributed speeches, writings, general letters, memoranda, reports, and policies collected by University Archives staff for reference and research. An index of the full texts of Keohane's speeches is available online: http://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/handle/10161/63.
While the materials in the Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection are open for research, the official records of President Nannerl O. Keohane are restricted. For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.
The collection contains correspondence, by-laws, conference listings, lists of prize nominees and awardees and other papers of committee members relating to the establishment of the award and the selection of the winners. Material in the collection ranges in date from 1957-2011.
The University Marshal Records includes correspondence, lists of candidates for degrees, memos, programs, financial records, records of the awarding of honorary degrees, minutes of the commencement committee, statistics, speeches, and other printed materials. Major subjects include information and procedures related to Founder's Day, baccalaureate services, convocations, and commencements; and files that detail the daily operation of the Office of the University Marshal.
The University Marshall Records is arranged by accession date. These accessions are given in chronological order. The descriptions given for each box are general descriptions of the contents of the box and are not folder titles. There is some consistency in the contents of the boxes from one accession to another, but the folder titles are not identical.
Access to all folders in Box 3 is RESTRICTED. Please consult University Archives staff.
The Men's Basketball Poster Collection is comprised of posters featuring the Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball Team. These posters typically depict the entire team posing for a photograph, sometimes with the team coach; several posters commemorate championship wins or the game results for the season, while a few feature only the Blue Devil or an illustration of some team members. Posters range in size from 12"x18" to 36"x48" with considerable individual variation in size. Posters collected by University Archives from a variety of sources are generally unsigned. Most posters donated by Jim Jarvis were autographed by the entire team and/or Coach Mike Krzyzewski and are mounted on foam core board.
The collection contains clippings, flyers for events and facilities, guides and handbooks, memoranda and correspondence, newsletters, menus and prices, and recipes and other materials concerning Duke University's Dining Services.
The collection contains scrapbooks for which the creator and/or origin is unknown. They contain clippings, photographs, programs, invitations, and ephemera about Trinity College/Duke University people, athletics and speakers. Most of the photographs are unidentified regarding people, but many Trinity College/Duke University buildings can be identified. Nine scrapbooks pertain solely to Aycock House from 1945-1964.