These photographs were taken during the initial construction of Duke University, 1925-1932. There is one set of pictures for East Campus and two sets for West, and modern copy prints and copy negatives of some images. The collection includes approximately 1000 mounted images in two bound sets (copy 1 and copy 2), along several file folders of mounted and unmounted prints.
There is one set of pictures for East Campus and two sets for West, and modern copy prints and copy negatives of some images. One set of the West Campus images (#2) is not accessioned. The other (#1) was received from the estate of W.F. Lee, likely a son of Arthur C. Lee who was the chief engineer for the construction. It is the more complete set (A93-73: five volumes + 25 unbound prints).
Most of the prints are numbered and dated on the front in white ink, and many for West Campus have a number, date, and description of the verso. Some of the prints were made into glass slides; these slides are in the Frank Clyde Brown Papers.
The collection includes approximately 1000 mounted images in two bound sets (copy 1 and copy 2), along several file folders of mounted and unmounted prints. The images range in date from 1925-1932.
The work of at least three photographers is represented in the Progress Pictures. For the East Campus photos, there are prints having the same base number with an A or B suffix, but which were taken on different dates. Some are marked on the verso "from Ramsey Studio, Durham, N.C." and others "Whitney's Camera Craft Shop, 106 1/2 E. Main St., Durham". The "A" and "B" designations are not consistent, and we cannot say that Ramsey was photographer "A and Whitney "B". Ramsey's work predominates in the early photographs and Whitney's in the later. Whitney's work is also represented in the West Campus pictures.
Also in the West Campus mounted prints are pictures marked "C.W. Richardson, Photographer, Duke University" or "Richardson's Photo Serviceâ€¦" According to the Bulletin of Duke University, volume 24, no.7a "The first twenty years" a C.W. Richardson was a member of the staff of the medical art and illustration division, which was started in 1933 (p. 44) and which included photographers. There are also unmounted numbered and unnumbered prints taken by Richardson. Some of these prints are marked News Service or Alumni Affairs. Some mounted West Campus prints are not credited, or if they were stamped by the photographer, the stamp has been covered by the mounting linen. Among the unmounted numbered and unnumbered prints, some are stamped News Service or Alumni Affairs.
The Progress Pictures are offered in jpeg format but are also available as high resolution .tif files.