Collections

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level Collection Remove constraint Level: Collection University Archives Record Group 01 — General Information and University History Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 01 — General Information and University History

Search Results

collection icon

Horace Trumbauer Architectural Drawings collection, 1924-1958 9 Linear Feet — 11.3 Gigabytes

From 1924 through 1958 the architectural firm of Horace Trumbauer of Philadelphia, Pa. was hired to design much of Duke University's East and West campuses. Horace Trumbauer, William O. Frank, and Julian Abele were the firm's main designers. Frank Clyde Brown, S.W. Myatt and A.C. Lee were administrators of construction at Duke University during this time. Some of the buildings designed by the firm are the Duke University Chapel, the Allen Administration Building, Cameron Indoor Stadium, Baldwin Auditorium, the East Campus Union Building, the East Campus Central Heating Plant Complex, the Carr Building (formerly known as the Class Room Building), the Medical School and Hospital, the Nurses' Home, the Law School, the School of Religion, the Chemistry Building, and the Botany and Biology Building. The firm also designed the Giles, Alspaugh, Pegram, Bassett, and Brown residence halls (formerly known as Dormitories 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, respectively). Included in the collection are blueprints and printed material relating to the planning and construction of buildings at Duke University from 1924 to 1958.

This collection is comprised of architectural drawings and reproduced architectural drawings of buildings on the Duke University campus and nearby. The dates of this collection range from 1924 to 1952, with the bulk of material from 1926-1938.

A number of Related Collections also contain building specifications, daily work logs, financial ledgers, contracts, and general correspondence for most buildings. Correspondence (often including specifications) exchanged primarily between Horace Trumbauer, William O. Frank, Julian Abele, and Frank Clyde Brown (Duke University Comptroller), S.W. Myatt (Assistant to the President) and A.C. Lee (Chief Engineer for Duke University Building) about general construction at Duke University. Additionally, published building specifications can be found in the library catalog. Other blueprints, sketches, and drawings are folded and interfiled among established collections and within the Operations and Maintenance Department Records. General building specifications, plans for proposed buildings, daily work logs, financial ledgers, contracts, and general correspondence are located in the Operations and Maintenance Department Records, as well as the Frank C. Brown Papers. Bound volumes of published building specifications are stored in the University Archives book collection. Photographs of buildings and architectural sketches and drawings are located in the Photograph Collection. Biographical information about Horace Trumbauer and Julian Abele can be found in the Biographical Reference Collection. The Building Reference Collection contains related information about campus buildings.

collection icon

Trinity Park School collection, 1898 - 1922 2.5 Linear Feet

Trinity Park School was established in 1898, under headmaster J.F. Bivins, to better prepare students for admission at Trinity College and other institutions. The school operated on the campus of Trinity College until 1922, when it was permanently closed. The Trinity Park School Collection includes bound volumes, print materials, the papers of headmaster F.S. Aldridge, and photographs, and financial information. Annual Trinity Park School catalogs have been removed and cataloged separately.

The Trinity Park School Collection includes bound volumes, print materials, and photographs. The Bound Volumes Series contains accounting ledgers, a grade book, minute books, and a roll book. Trinity Park School's annual catalogs have been removed and cataloged separately. These materials offer insight into the students at the school, their courses of study, and their financial situations.

The second series, Print Materials, contains financial information, correspondence, illustrated booklets, and other documents related to Trinity Park School.

The third series, F.S. Aldridge Papers, contains the correspondence of the headmaster of Trinity Park School. It dates primarily from 1921 and 1922, when the school was closed.

The final series, Photographs, includes photos of students, faculty, buildings, and other images from the school. Oversized photographs can also be found in this series.

collection icon

Tomlinson Store Ledger B, 1834-1848 1.2 Linear Feet — 1 Item

Tomlinson Store was a steam tanning works, shoemaking establishment and general store run by Allen U. Tomlinson in Randolph County, NC. Ledger B contains accounts of the Methodist and Quaker families that formed Union Institute as well as Brantley York and school faculty.

Ledger B contains accounts of the Methodist and Quaker families that formed Union Institute and later supported Normal College and Trinity College. There are accounts for Brantley York, for all of the signers of the constitution of the Union Institute Society, and for the faculty of the school. The bulk of the entries date from the 1830s.

collection icon

Rigsbee Family Deeds records, 1858-1902 .5 Linear Feet

Duke University's West Campus sits on land that was once part of the Rigsbee family's 600 acre farm. Along with the Angier, Blackwell, Carlton, Ferrell, Mangum, Maynor, Strayhorn, and Styron families, the Rigsbees bought and sold properties that have become much of the city of Durham. Records include twenty-six original documents, deeds, and an easement reflecting the legal transactions for land and properties bought and sold in Durham and Orange Counties.

Records include twenty-six original documents, deeds, and an easement reflecting the legal transactions for land and properties bought and sold in Durham and Orange Counties. The scope and content for each item includes, if known, location of each deed's registration in the official deed book by name/number, and page number, its registration date, and an abbreviated description of the property taken from the original document.

collection icon

Nannerl O. Keohane Reference collection, 1993 - 2004 0.5 Linear Feet — 300 Items

Nannerl O. Keohane served as Duke University's eighth president, from 1993 to 2004. The Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection consists of publicly-distributed speeches, writings, general letters, memoranda, reports, and policies collected by University Archives staff for general reference and research. English.

The Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection consists of publicly-distributed speeches, writings, general letters, memoranda, reports, and policies collected by University Archives staff for reference and research. An index of the full texts of Keohane's speeches is available online: http://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/handle/10161/63.

While the materials in the Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection are open for research, the official records of President Nannerl O. Keohane are restricted. For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.

collection icon

Fritz London Memorial Prize Committee records, 1957-2011 3.5 Linear Feet

The Fritz London Memorial Prize Committee (formerly known as the Fritz London Memorial Award Committee) awards a monetary prize to outstanding scientists in the field of low-temperature physics. The prize was established in memory of Duke University physicist Fritz London. The collection contains correspondence, by-laws, conference listings, lists of prize nominees and awardees and other papers of committee members relating to the establishment of the award and the selection of the winners. Material in the collection ranges in date from 1957-2011.

The collection contains correspondence, by-laws, conference listings, lists of prize nominees and awardees and other papers of committee members relating to the establishment of the award and the selection of the winners. Material in the collection ranges in date from 1957-2011.

collection icon

University Marshal records, 1942-1989 40 Linear Feet

The Office of the University Marshal is responsible for some of Duke University's most significant occasions: opening convocation, Founders' Day, and commencement. The University Marshal Records include correspondence, lists of candidates for degrees, memos, programs, financial records, records of the awarding of honorary degrees, minutes of the commencement committee, statistics, speeches, and other printed materials. Major subjects include information and procedures related to Founder's Day, baccalaureate services, convocations, and commencements; and files that detail the daily operation of the Office of the University Marshal. English.

The University Marshal Records includes correspondence, lists of candidates for degrees, memos, programs, financial records, records of the awarding of honorary degrees, minutes of the commencement committee, statistics, speeches, and other printed materials. Major subjects include information and procedures related to Founder's Day, baccalaureate services, convocations, and commencements; and files that detail the daily operation of the Office of the University Marshal.

The University Marshall Records is arranged by accession date. These accessions are given in chronological order. The descriptions given for each box are general descriptions of the contents of the box and are not folder titles. There is some consistency in the contents of the boxes from one accession to another, but the folder titles are not identical.

Access to all folders in Box 3 is RESTRICTED. Please consult University Archives staff.

collection icon

Men's Basketball poster collection, 1959-2013 5 Linear Feet

online icon
Basketball team posters are usually produced at the start of a new basketball season, depicting the season's team player lineup and sometimes the game schedule. The Men's Basketball Poster Collection is comprised of posters featuring the Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball Team.

The Men's Basketball Poster Collection is comprised of posters featuring the Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball Team. These posters typically depict the entire team posing for a photograph, sometimes with the team coach; several posters commemorate championship wins or the game results for the season, while a few feature only the Blue Devil or an illustration of some team members. Posters range in size from 12"x18" to 36"x48" with considerable individual variation in size. Posters collected by University Archives from a variety of sources are generally unsigned. Most posters donated by Jim Jarvis were autographed by the entire team and/or Coach Mike Krzyzewski and are mounted on foam core board.

collection icon

Dining Services Reference collection, 1945-2001 0.5 Linear Feet — 250 Items

The collection contains clippings, flyers for events and facilities, guides and handbooks, memoranda and correspondence, newsletters, menus and prices, and recipes and other materials concerning Duke University's Dining Services. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.

The collection contains clippings, flyers for events and facilities, guides and handbooks, memoranda and correspondence, newsletters, menus and prices, and recipes and other materials concerning Duke University's Dining Services.

collection icon

Duke University Archives Scrapbook collection, 1916-ongoing 9.5 Linear Feet — 29 Items

The collection contains scrapbooks for which the creator and/or origin is unknown. They contain clippings, photographs, programs, invitations, and ephemera about Trinity College/Duke University people, athletics and speakers.

The collection contains scrapbooks for which the creator and/or origin is unknown. They contain clippings, photographs, programs, invitations, and ephemera about Trinity College/Duke University people, athletics and speakers. Most of the photographs are unidentified regarding people, but many Trinity College/Duke University buildings can be identified. Nine scrapbooks pertain solely to Aycock House from 1945-1964.

collection icon

Duke Student Government Reference collection, 1993-[ongoing] 0.5 Linear Feet — 250 Items

The Duke Student Government Reference Collection contains files of clippings, articles, printouts, publications, and other materials about student participation in univerity administration through Duke Student Government. Topics include alcohol, elections, off-campus housing, proposals and resolutions, and presidents and officers. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.

collection icon

Departments and Academic Divisions Reference collection, 1904-ongoing 4.5 Linear Feet — approx. 3500 Items

The Departments and Academic Divisions Reference Collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research. This collection includes materials about departments, centers, programs, sections, institutes, cooperative programs (mostly Duke-UNC), and a few other units. These last ones are in the series titled "Others" and are things that did not fit anywhere else. For instance, School of Spanish Studies was not a school in the sense we now use the term. There are also files on the Woman's College and School of Nursing. The department is the basic academic administrative unit in Arts and Sciences, the Pratt School of Engineering, and the School of Medicine. Historically, other instructional and research units have included those designated as "Office of ..." and "... Laboratory," as in, for example, the Parapsychology Laboratory. Institutes, Programs, and Centers are academic units created to foster interdisciplinary work. Sections were created in 1988 to facilitate the development of new academic efforts of limited size in subject areas where the creation of a department was not warranted.

The collection includes printed matter, clippings, handbooks, newsletters, flyers, reports, lists of department administrators and other material for many departments/academic divisions at Duke University. Departments with larger amounts of material have their own reference collections. This collection ranges in date from 1904-ongoing.

collection icon

Divinity School Reference collection, 1926-ongoing 3.5 Linear Feet — 2500 Items

Founded in 1926 as the first of the university's graduate professional schools, the Divinity School attracts students from around the nation and several different countries. One of 13 seminaries founded and supported by the United Methodist Church, the school has from its beginnings been ecumenical in aspiration, teaching, and practice. With many diverse theological perspectives, students find common ground through immersion in Scripture and the church's tradition for addressing the challenges of faith in today's world. Collection contains subject files relating to the Divinity School at Duke University. Some major topics include admissions, sermons, symposiums, continuing education, field education, student groups, and other topics. Video cassettes and audio cassettes are also present in the collection.
collection icon

Julian Abele reference collection, 1974-2009 0.5 Linear Feet

Julian Abele was the chief designer for Horace Trumbauer's architectural firm in Philadelphia, PA. He designed the buildings for the Duke University campus, including Duke Chapel. The reference collection includes articles, correspondence, clippings, printed and genealogical material, and other files related to Abele.

The Julian Abele reference collection includes articles, correspondence, clippings, printed and genealogical material, and other files related to Julian Abele, his work, his family, and African American architects.

collection icon

Biographical Reference collection, 1972 - 2004 15 Linear Feet

The Biographical Reference Collection contains files of clippings, publications, biographical sketches, curriculum vitae, and other materials about the activities of Duke University administration, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as other people connected or associated with the University, including members of the Duke family. These files were compiled from a variety of sources by University Archives staff for use in reference and research. English.
collection icon

Board of Trustees Reference collection, 1941 - 2002 2 Linear Feet — 2000 Items

The Duke University Board of Trustees is the administrative decision-making body that oversees the planning and direction of the University. The Board of Trustees Reference Collection is mainly comprised of clippings and lists of Board members. English.

The Board of Trustees Reference Collection is mainly comprised of clippings and lists of Board members. The first series, Duke University, features clippings on a number of Duke events and issues that affected the Board. The second series, Board of Trustees, contains lists of members, press reports, citations, and the "Trustee Manual."

collection icon

Bassett Affair collection, 1903 - 2003 2 Linear Feet — 300 Items

The Bassett Affair is a celebrated case that helped establish the concept of academic freedom in higher education in the United States and is a benchmark incident in race relations in the South. John Spencer Bassett, a Trinity College professor, published a series of articles in the South Atlantic Quarterly (1903) that praised the accomplishments of African Americans and offered views on how to improve race relations. A campaign to remove Bassett from the faculty was thwarted by a vote of support for Bassett from the University's Board of Trustees on Dec. 2, 1903. The collection contains essays, articles, clippings, correspondence, reminiscences, and other published and unpublished matter including Bassett's article, Stirring Up the Fires of Race Antipathy (1903); a scrapbook, 1903-1904, kept by Trinity College officials with newspaper clippings documenting national coverage the case received; copies of letters by Theodore Roosevelt to Owen Wister (1906) commenting on the case and on Trinity; manuscripts of My Recollections of the Bassett Trial, by Robert Lee Durham (1936), The Bassett Affair: A Play in Six Acts, by Baird Straughan (1975), and Crisis at Trinity a play by John Merritt (1989); lists of related materials in other collections; various shorter articles and speeches including comments by Richard L. Watson and an address to the Academic Council by Terry Sanford; and materials from the centennial celebration of the Bassett Affair, collected by University Archives staff. English.

The collection contains essays, articles, clippings, correspondence, reminiscences, and other published and unpublished matter including Bassett's article, "Stirring Up the Fires of Race Antipathy" (1903); a scrapbook, 1903-1904, kept by Trinity College officials with newspaper clippings documenting national coverage the case received; copies of letters by Theodore Roosevelt to Owen Wister (1906) commenting on the case and on Trinity; manuscripts of "My Recollections of the Bassett Trial," by Robert Lee Durham (1936), "The Bassett Affair: A Play in Six Acts," by Baird Straughan (1975), and "Crisis at Trinity" a play by John Merritt (1989); lists of related materials in other collections; various shorter articles and speeches including comments by Richard L. Watson and an address to the Academic Council by Terry Sanford; and materials from the centennial celebration of the Bassett Affair, collected by University Archives staff.

collection icon

Celebration of the Life of Benjamin Newton Duke collection, 1979 1.25 Linear Feet

In 1979, Duke University held a series of events celebrating the life of Benjamin Newton Duke. The collection includes clippings, invitations, scrapbooks, and an audio recording.

The collection includes invitations, clippings, scrapbooks, and an audio recording with remarks from several speakers at the events, including Terry Sanford and Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans.

collection icon

Blue Devil Reference collection, 1972-ongoing 0.3 Linear Feet — 300 Items

The Blue Devil Reference Collection contains files of clippings and other material about Duke University's mascot.

The Blue Devil Reference Collection contains files of clippings and other material about Duke University's mascot. Topics include the French mountain troops for whom Duke's mascot is named, the costume, drawings, history, public opinion, and copies of the handout, "Why a Blue Devil?" The collection also includes folders about uses of the Blue Devil name. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.

collection icon

Campus Groups Reference collection, 1892-ongoing 0.7 Linear Feet — approx. 700 Items

The Campus Groups Reference Collection contains files of printed matter and records that document the activities of formal and informal campus-based associations and groups. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.

The Campus Groups Reference Collection documents activities of formal and informal campus-based associations and groups of people, such as clubs and ethnic groups. The collection includes flyers and newsletters, memoranda, announcements, clippings, membership lists, financial records and other material.