Collections

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level Collection Remove constraint Level: Collection University Archives Record Group 01 — General Information and University History Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 01 — General Information and University History

Search Results

collection icon
From 1924 through 1958 the architectural firm of Horace Trumbauer of Philadelphia, Pa. was hired to design much of Duke University's East and West campuses. Horace Trumbauer, William O. Frank, and Julian Abele were the firm's main designers. Frank Clyde Brown, S.W. Myatt and A.C. Lee were administrators of construction at Duke University during this time. Some of the buildings designed by the firm are the Duke University Chapel, the Allen Administration Building, Cameron Indoor Stadium, Baldwin Auditorium, the East Campus Union Building, the East Campus Central Heating Plant Complex, the Carr Building (formerly known as the Class Room Building), the Medical School and Hospital, the Nurses' Home, the Law School, the School of Religion, the Chemistry Building, and the Botany and Biology Building. The firm also designed the Giles, Alspaugh, Pegram, Bassett, and Brown residence halls (formerly known as Dormitories 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, respectively). Included in the collection are blueprints and printed material relating to the planning and construction of buildings at Duke University from 1924 to 1958.

This collection is comprised of architectural drawings and reproduced architectural drawings of buildings on the Duke University campus and nearby. The dates of this collection range from 1924 to 1952, with the bulk of material from 1926-1938.

A number of Related Collections also contain building specifications, daily work logs, financial ledgers, contracts, and general correspondence for most buildings. Correspondence (often including specifications) exchanged primarily between Horace Trumbauer, William O. Frank, Julian Abele, and Frank Clyde Brown (Duke University Comptroller), S.W. Myatt (Assistant to the President) and A.C. Lee (Chief Engineer for Duke University Building) about general construction at Duke University. Additionally, published building specifications can be found in the library catalog. Other blueprints, sketches, and drawings are folded and interfiled among established collections and within the Operations and Maintenance Department Records. General building specifications, plans for proposed buildings, daily work logs, financial ledgers, contracts, and general correspondence are located in the Operations and Maintenance Department Records, as well as the Frank C. Brown Papers. Bound volumes of published building specifications are stored in the University Archives book collection. Photographs of buildings and architectural sketches and drawings are located in the Photograph Collection. Biographical information about Horace Trumbauer and Julian Abele can be found in the Biographical Reference Collection. The Building Reference Collection contains related information about campus buildings.

collection icon
Trinity Park School was established in 1898, under headmaster J.F. Bivins, to better prepare students for admission at Trinity College and other institutions. The school operated on the campus of Trinity College until 1922, when it was permanently closed. The Trinity Park School Collection includes bound volumes, print materials, the papers of headmaster F.S. Aldridge, and photographs, and financial information. Annual Trinity Park School catalogs have been removed and cataloged separately.

The Trinity Park School Collection includes bound volumes, print materials, and photographs. The Bound Volumes Series contains accounting ledgers, a grade book, minute books, and a roll book. Trinity Park School's annual catalogs have been removed and cataloged separately. These materials offer insight into the students at the school, their courses of study, and their financial situations.

The second series, Print Materials, contains financial information, correspondence, illustrated booklets, and other documents related to Trinity Park School.

The third series, F.S. Aldridge Papers, contains the correspondence of the headmaster of Trinity Park School. It dates primarily from 1921 and 1922, when the school was closed.

The final series, Photographs, includes photos of students, faculty, buildings, and other images from the school. Oversized photographs can also be found in this series.

collection icon

Tomlinson Store Ledger B, 1834-1848 1.2 Linear Feet — 1 Item

Tomlinson Store was a steam tanning works, shoemaking establishment and general store run by Allen U. Tomlinson in Randolph County, NC. Ledger B contains accounts of the Methodist and Quaker families that formed Union Institute as well as Brantley York and school faculty.

Ledger B contains accounts of the Methodist and Quaker families that formed Union Institute and later supported Normal College and Trinity College. There are accounts for Brantley York, for all of the signers of the constitution of the Union Institute Society, and for the faculty of the school. The bulk of the entries date from the 1830s.

collection icon
Duke University's West Campus sits on land that was once part of the Rigsbee family's 600 acre farm. Along with the Angier, Blackwell, Carlton, Ferrell, Mangum, Maynor, Strayhorn, and Styron families, the Rigsbees bought and sold properties that have become much of the city of Durham. Records include twenty-six original documents, deeds, and an easement reflecting the legal transactions for land and properties bought and sold in Durham and Orange Counties.

Records include twenty-six original documents, deeds, and an easement reflecting the legal transactions for land and properties bought and sold in Durham and Orange Counties. The scope and content for each item includes, if known, location of each deed's registration in the official deed book by name/number, and page number, its registration date, and an abbreviated description of the property taken from the original document.

collection icon
Nannerl O. Keohane served as Duke University's eighth president, from 1993 to 2004. The Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection consists of publicly-distributed speeches, writings, general letters, memoranda, reports, and policies collected by University Archives staff for general reference and research. English.

The Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection consists of publicly-distributed speeches, writings, general letters, memoranda, reports, and policies collected by University Archives staff for reference and research. An index of the full texts of Keohane's speeches is available online: http://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/handle/10161/63.

While the materials in the Nannerl O. Keohane Reference Collection are open for research, the official records of President Nannerl O. Keohane are restricted. For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.

collection icon
The Fritz London Memorial Prize Committee (formerly known as the Fritz London Memorial Award Committee) awards a monetary prize to outstanding scientists in the field of low-temperature physics. The prize was established in memory of Duke University physicist Fritz London. The collection contains correspondence, by-laws, conference listings, lists of prize nominees and awardees and other papers of committee members relating to the establishment of the award and the selection of the winners. Material in the collection ranges in date from 1957-2011.

The collection contains correspondence, by-laws, conference listings, lists of prize nominees and awardees and other papers of committee members relating to the establishment of the award and the selection of the winners. Material in the collection ranges in date from 1957-2011.

collection icon
The Office of the University Marshal is responsible for some of Duke University's most significant occasions: opening convocation, Founders' Day, and commencement. The University Marshal Records include correspondence, lists of candidates for degrees, memos, programs, financial records, records of the awarding of honorary degrees, minutes of the commencement committee, statistics, speeches, and other printed materials. Major subjects include information and procedures related to Founder's Day, baccalaureate services, convocations, and commencements; and files that detail the daily operation of the Office of the University Marshal. English.

The University Marshal Records includes correspondence, lists of candidates for degrees, memos, programs, financial records, records of the awarding of honorary degrees, minutes of the commencement committee, statistics, speeches, and other printed materials. Major subjects include information and procedures related to Founder's Day, baccalaureate services, convocations, and commencements; and files that detail the daily operation of the Office of the University Marshal.

The University Marshall Records is arranged by accession date. These accessions are given in chronological order. The descriptions given for each box are general descriptions of the contents of the box and are not folder titles. There is some consistency in the contents of the boxes from one accession to another, but the folder titles are not identical.

Access to all folders in Box 3 is RESTRICTED. Please consult University Archives staff.

collection icon
online icon
Basketball team posters are usually produced at the start of a new basketball season, depicting the season's team player lineup and sometimes the game schedule. The Men's Basketball Poster Collection is comprised of posters featuring the Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball Team.

The Men's Basketball Poster Collection is comprised of posters featuring the Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball Team. These posters typically depict the entire team posing for a photograph, sometimes with the team coach; several posters commemorate championship wins or the game results for the season, while a few feature only the Blue Devil or an illustration of some team members. Posters range in size from 12"x18" to 36"x48" with considerable individual variation in size. Posters collected by University Archives from a variety of sources are generally unsigned. Most posters donated by Jim Jarvis were autographed by the entire team and/or Coach Mike Krzyzewski and are mounted on foam core board.

collection icon

Athletics Reference collection, 1888-2005 8.4 Linear Feet — 8,500 Items

The Athletics Reference Collection contains files of clippings, articles and essays, printouts, publications, and other materials about Duke athletic programs.

The Athletics Reference Collection contains files of clippings, articles and essays, printouts, publications, and other materials about Duke athletic programs. Topics include revenue and non-revenue sports, cheerleaders, fan behavior, fundraising, the Hall of Fame, Duke Olympians and other athletes, and sports promotions. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.

collection icon

Bassett Affair collection, 1903 - 2003 2 Linear Feet — 300 Items

The Bassett Affair is a celebrated case that helped establish the concept of academic freedom in higher education in the United States and is a benchmark incident in race relations in the South. John Spencer Bassett, a Trinity College professor, published a series of articles in the South Atlantic Quarterly (1903) that praised the accomplishments of African Americans and offered views on how to improve race relations. A campaign to remove Bassett from the faculty was thwarted by a vote of support for Bassett from the University's Board of Trustees on Dec. 2, 1903. The collection contains essays, articles, clippings, correspondence, reminiscences, and other published and unpublished matter including Bassett's article, Stirring Up the Fires of Race Antipathy (1903); a scrapbook, 1903-1904, kept by Trinity College officials with newspaper clippings documenting national coverage the case received; copies of letters by Theodore Roosevelt to Owen Wister (1906) commenting on the case and on Trinity; manuscripts of My Recollections of the Bassett Trial, by Robert Lee Durham (1936), The Bassett Affair: A Play in Six Acts, by Baird Straughan (1975), and Crisis at Trinity a play by John Merritt (1989); lists of related materials in other collections; various shorter articles and speeches including comments by Richard L. Watson and an address to the Academic Council by Terry Sanford; and materials from the centennial celebration of the Bassett Affair, collected by University Archives staff. English.

The collection contains essays, articles, clippings, correspondence, reminiscences, and other published and unpublished matter including Bassett's article, "Stirring Up the Fires of Race Antipathy" (1903); a scrapbook, 1903-1904, kept by Trinity College officials with newspaper clippings documenting national coverage the case received; copies of letters by Theodore Roosevelt to Owen Wister (1906) commenting on the case and on Trinity; manuscripts of "My Recollections of the Bassett Trial," by Robert Lee Durham (1936), "The Bassett Affair: A Play in Six Acts," by Baird Straughan (1975), and "Crisis at Trinity" a play by John Merritt (1989); lists of related materials in other collections; various shorter articles and speeches including comments by Richard L. Watson and an address to the Academic Council by Terry Sanford; and materials from the centennial celebration of the Bassett Affair, collected by University Archives staff.