Collection contains records relating to the operations and activities of Duke Chapel and ranges in date from 1920-[ongoing]. Material includes administrative records, printed exercise programs and bulletins, transcripts of sermons, oversize material including marriage and baptismal registries, carillon and carillonneur material, miscellaneous clippings, press releases, and published material relating to Duke University and the Chapel. University Archives staff must be consulted in order to determine what material is covered by the administrative restriction.
Contains material pertaining to the operation and activities of the Duke University Chapel and ranges in date from 1920-[ongoing]. The records are arranged in nine series: administrative records; carillon/carilloneur; exercise programs and bulletins; sermons; registers and logbooks; general files; ministers, committees, and subject files; The Congregation at Duke Chapel newsletter; and Director of Chapel Music.
The Administrative records contain material created and accumulated by the Chapel Development Officer as well as the records of various committees including Chapel renovation and organ. Carillon material includes program logbooks created by the University Carillonneur and a special carillon program in honor of Terry Sanford. The exercise programs series is composed of printed programs from various services and exercises held in the Chapel: Sunday Service of Worship, Elementary Service, Faculty Service, Service for Elected Officials, various recitals, and Easter, Lenten, and Christmas services. The sermons series contains transcripts of sermons performed in the Chapel by various ministers, faculty, and guests of the University including William H. Willimon, James T. Cleland, Howard C. Wilkinson, and Waldo Beach. Registers and logbooks contains oversize bound volumes documenting Chapel attendance and weddings, baptisms, and funerals held in the Chapel. General files primarily consists of reference material used by Chapel staff: informal histories, information about chapel windows and exterior sculpture, informal patron inquiries, and various printed material. Major subjects include building and grounds, organ (Flentrop and Aeolian), tower and elevator, Chapel policies, weddings, and Chapel photo albums. Also present in the collection are programs for special services held in the Chapel observing V-E and V-J Days and the Chapel's dedication ceremony in 1935.