Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Names Duke Endowment Remove constraint Names: Duke Endowment

Search Results

collection icon

Art and Artifacts records, 1915 - 2005 2 Linear Feet — 1,300 Items

In January, 2005, funds granted by the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation allowed the Duke University Archives to survey University-owned paintings within the Perkins Library system. Prior to the survey, records of University-owned art that had been collected by University Archives staff, and these records were organized and collated with the new survey information. Collection includes lists, inventories, correspondence, clippings, notes, memoranda, photographs, and other materials generated 1915-2005 and related to art and artifacts owned by Duke University, including information on the portaits of the Trustees of The Duke Endowment painted by Douglas Chandor. Other artists represented include Charles S. Wiltschek, John Da Costa, Mary Lyde Hicks Williams, Norval H. Busey, Irene Price, Cedric Egeli, Simmie Knox, John A. Furlow, and Nelson Shanks. English.

Collection includes lists, inventories, correspondence, clippings, notes, memoranda, photographs, and other materials generated 1915-2005 and related to art and artifacts owned by Duke University, including information on the portraits of the Trustees of The Duke Endowment in the Gothic Reading Room painted by Douglas Chandor. Other artists represented include Charles S. Wiltschek, John Da Costa, Mary Lyde Hicks Williams, Norval H. Busey, Irene Price, Cedric Egeli, Simmie Knox, John A. Furlow, and Nelson Shanks.

collection icon
Doris Duke's father, James Buchanan (J.B.) Duke, established the Duke Endowment as a perpetual charitable trust in 1924. Mr. Duke designed the fund to be both flexible and enduring, but limited its efforts to the Carolinas and to four program areas: child care, health care, higher education, and rural churches. Miss Duke became a trustee of the Endowment in 1933. The collection spans the years 1925 to 2001, with the bulk dating from 1956 through 1993. Collection materials primarily document the administrative business of the Endowment and include correspondence, news stories, meeting materials, financial statements, legal records, reports, and proposals. Many of the materials relate specifically to the Endowment's interests in private university education and health care.

The Doris Duke papers on The Duke Endowment (formerly DE.10) are part of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Historical Archives which were donated to the Duke University. David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. The collection spans the years 1925 to 2001, although the bulk of materials date from 1956 through 1993. Doris Duke served as a trustee of the Endowment from 1933 until her death in 1993. Collection materials primarily document the administrative business of the Endowment and include correspondence, invitations and solicitations, news stories, meeting materials, financial statements, legal records, reports, and proposals. Many of the materials relate specifically to the Endowment's interests in private university education and health care. Of particular interest are 21 published annual reports for years between 1939 and 2001, which detail efforts and expenditures in the four program areas J.B. Duke prescribed. The reports include personal stories, examinations of pressing issues, and photos of beneficiaries in later years, and the 1973 issue contains a 50th anniversary tribute to J.B. Duke and the Endowment.

collection icon
The Duke Endowment was established by James Buchanan Duke as a perpetual charitable trust in 1924, with the following types of beneficiaries, mainly residing in North Carolina and South Carolina: non-profit hospitals and child care institutions; educational institutions; and rural churches of the Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South (now the United Methodist Church). The Duke Endowment Archives span the years 1902 to 2006, with the bulk of the material dating from 1925 through 2006. The collection documents the administration of the corpus of the trust and the charitable contributions made to the categories of recipients named in the Indenture and Deed of Trust establishing The Endowment. The majority of the records are arranged into series that reflect the organization of the institution, including the Board of Trustees, Treasurer's Office, Controller's Office, Investment Office, Education Division and Committee on Communications, Health Care and Child Care Divisions, and Rural Church Division. Smaller series, documenting such other activities as record-keeping, publications, and history of The Endowment, include: Central Files, Oral History Project, Trust Under Will, Publications, Miscellaneous, Photographic Materials, and Audiovisual Materials. The collection consists of the following types of materials: correspondence; minutes of meetings; financial records; applications for assistance from hospitals, child care institutions, and churches; statistics; publications; oral history tapes and transcripts; architectural drawings and blueprints; photographs; audio cassettes; and miscellaneous records and papers. The geographic focus is primarily North Carolina and South Carolina.

The Duke Endowment Archives span the years 1902 to 2018, although the bulk of the material dates from 1925 through 2006. The collection consists of correspondence; minutes of meetings; financial records; applications for assistance from hospitals, child care institutions, and churches; statistics; publications; oral history tapes and transcripts; architectural drawings and blueprints; photographs; audio cassettes; and miscellaneous records and papers. The collection documents the administration of the corpus of the trust and the charitable contributions made to the categories of recipients named in the Indenture and Deed of Trust establishing The Duke Endowment. Records are arranged to reflect the responsibilities and operations of the Endowment's trustees, officers, and divisions, with major series including: the Board of Trustees, Treasurer's Office, Controller's Office, Investment Office, Education Division and Committee on Communications, Health Care and Child Care Divisions, and Rural Church Division. Smaller series, documenting such other activities as record-keeping, publications, and the Endowment's history, include: Central Files, Oral History Project, Trust Under Will, Publications, Miscellaneous, Photographic Materials, and Audiovisual Materials. Subject areas represented in the collection include: the history of foundations, hospital and child care demographics and other statistics, rural church buildings and activities, the construction of Duke University, and the life of James Buchanan Duke. The geographic focus is primarily North Carolina and South Carolina.

When James Buchanan Duke established The Duke Endowment as a perpetual charitable trust in 1924, he formalized a tradition of philanthropy that he and other members of the Duke family had practiced for many years, especially with regard to Duke University (formerly Trinity College). The life of James B. Duke, including his philanthropic interests, is documented in the Oral History Project Series (RESTRICTED) and Miscellaneous Series (RESTRICTED), and, to a lesser extent, the Health Care and Child Care Divisions Series' (RESTRICTED) Feasibility Study and Rural Church Division Series (RESTRICTED), Correspondence Subseries. The 100th Anniversary of James B. Duke's birth and interest in Mr. Duke's home in Charlotte, N.C., are documented in the Miscellaneous Series.

The Indenture and Deed of Trust establishing The Duke Endowment delineates the type of beneficiaries eligible for its support. These include non-profit hospitals and child care institutions; educational institutions; and rural churches of the Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South (now the United Methodist Church), including retired ministers and widows and orphans of deceased ministers. Beneficiaries usually reside within North Carolina and South Carolina, i.e., generally the areas served by the water power facilities established by Mr. Duke, although under certain conditions other states may be served. The textile mills served by hydroelectric power were of special interest to Mr. Duke. A statistical study of cotton mills that he requested is in the Miscellaneous Series. The Indenture and Deed of Trust specifies that hospitals and child care institutions for Whites and African Americans should be supported. The Duke Endowment provides technical assistance as well as funding. Specific educational institutions were named in the Indenture: Davidson College, Davidson, N.C.; Duke University, Durham, N.C.; Furman University, Greenville, S.C.; and Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, N.C.

For the original corpus of The Endowment, James B. Duke assigned shares of stock from Duke Power Company, British-American Tobacco Company, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, George W. Helme Company, Republic Cotton Mills, and Judson Mills. The Indenture stipulates how income and capital from the corpus should be managed and includes specific directives for handling the stock of Duke Power Company. Continuous records for the financial management of the assets of The Duke Endowment are in the Treasurer's Office (RESTRICTED), Controller's Office (RESTRICTED), and Investment Office Series (RESTRICTED). The volumes in the Controller's Office Series include records of payments made and management of the corpus as well as The Endowment's general operating expenses, such as salaries, rents, furniture, and supplies. The Investment Office Series contains records pertaining to companies in which The Duke Endowment invested. The Treasurer's Office Series includes an historical overview of The Endowment's expenditures and includes the minutes of the Finance Committee, which was established in 1975. The Treasurer's Office Series includes Beneficiary Information System reports, which provide geographic breakdowns of payments to institutions from the inception of The Duke Endowment to the present, and a summary that lists each institution or beneficiary group and how it used funds from The Endowment. The Treasurer's Office and Investment Office records do not reflect the overall financial management of The Duke Endowment.

The first members of the Board of Trustees of The Duke Endowment--Nanaline H. Duke, George G. Allen, William R. Perkins, William B. Bell, Anthony J. Drexel Biddle, Walter C. Parker, Alexander H. Sands, Jr., William S. Lee, Charles I. Burkholder, Norman A. Cocke, Edward C. Marshall, and Bennette C. Geer--were named in the Indenture as parties of the second part. As stipulated by the Indenture, the trustees were required to meet at least ten times a year and the minutes of the meetings were to be recorded. The minutes are located in the Board of Trustees Series (RESTRICTED). Miscellaneous papers and pictures of some trustees, especially of Watson S. Rankin, a physician, who was also head of the Hospital and Child Care Divisions for many years, are in the Miscellaneous Series. Rankin was an early proponent of rural hospitals as a way to make health care available to greater numbers of citizens. The related correspondence of Graham L. Davis, assistant to Watson S. Rankin, is in the Health Care and Child Care Division Series (RESTRICTED), Health Care Subseries. The Publications Series includes material by or about several trustees.

The Indenture directed the trustees to expend funds for the establishment of Duke University. Designated by Mr. Duke "as one of the principal objects of this trust," a percentage of The Duke Endowment's corpus was to be applied annually for its support. Duke Construction Company was organized by the Board of Trustees to build the university (now known as the West Campus). The architect Horace Trumbauer designed the campus buildings and plant, and the landscape was designed by Olmstead Brothers. Financial records for the construction of Duke University, including the operation of Duke Construction Company, are in the Controller's Office Series (RESTRICTED) and architectural drawings for the buildings, campus plot, and landscaping are in the Miscellaneous Series. Documentation of The Endowment's support of the other educational institutions named in the Indenture, including disbursements and income generated, is in the volumes in the Controller's Office Series.

Non-profit hospitals receive support from The Duke Endowment for free days of care for individuals unable to pay the costs of hospitalization. If all the funds designated for free days of care are not spent in any given year, excess funds may be used for support of hospital construction, maintenance, and equipment. Medical education is also supported, and technical assistance for administrative functions is provided through published manuals. A similar arrangement was established for societies, agencies, or institutions that cared for orphans and half-orphans. The Health Care and Child Care Divisions, Central Files (RESTRICTED), and Publications Series provide detailed documentation for institutions and programs that receive assistance from The Duke Endowment.

The history of hospital services and statistics for the types of admissions in North Carolina and South Carolina, especially rural areas, can be studied in the Health Care and Child Care Divisions Series, Health Care Division Subseries [NOTE: Formerly known as the Hospital and Child Care Divisions Series and the Hospital Division Subseries, respectively]. The applications from individual hospitals, as well as summaries and statistics that group institutions into comparable categories, provide important documentation about the various types of hospitals and their clients in North Carolina and South Carolina, including hospitals' economic statuses, physical plants, and in-patient and out-patient demographics. Most of the earlier statistics include breakdowns for the number of African American and White patients served and their medical profiles.

The history of institutional child care in North Carolina and South Carolina is documented in the Health Care and Child Care Divisions Series, Child Care Division Subseries. The Child Care Division applications for assistance describe the individual institutions that request support from The Duke Endowment. The applications include information about the physical plant, administration and financial status, population statistics, and the physical care and education of children. The summaries use the information in the applications for assistance and group it by type of institution, e.g., religious, community, county, state, more than 150 beds, under 151 beds with farms, White, African American, etc.

Minutes in the Health Care and Child Care Divisions Series, Health Care and Child Care Committee Subseries document some discussions of how funds would be allocated by The Duke Endowment. The published Annual Reports of the Hospital and Child Care Divisions include substantial statistical information and summary reports about specific institutions served during the year. These reports, located in the Publications Series, are a useful place to begin research about hospital and child care. Reports for these divisions are also in the Year Books.

Between 1915 and 1924, Mr. Duke made systematic contributions to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for churches in the North Carolina and Western North Carolina conferences. His contributions were first administered through the Board of Missions of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1920 Trinity College began to administer the funds. The Church Architect Program files in the Rural Church Division Series (RESTRICTED), Miscellaneous Subseries reflect another arrangement between Duke University and the Rural Church Division. The creation of The Duke Endowment established a formal trust to continue similar support for building and operating rural churches, income for superannuated ministers, and widows and orphans of deceased ministers. The records of the Rural Church Series, Building Grant Files and Church Maintenance Files Subseries document the assistance that individual churches received to build, maintain, and operate churches. Many of these records include oversize blueprints or architectural drawings. There are also records for special projects and other activities supported by The Duke Endowment. The Correspondence Subseries includes information about the concerns of specific churches as well as Methodism and religion in general. Area economic conditions were often described in the correspondence.

The Education Division and the Committee on Communications are currently responsible for publications produced by The Duke Endowment. The Publications Series is a useful starting place for information about The Endowment's activities for a given year or for a historical overview of the foundation. Publications, especially the Annual Reports and Year Books, provide information about the trustees and staff; changes in the organization of The Duke Endowment; and summary information about various divisions, including financial distributions and income, statistics, and specific programs and activities supported by The Endowment at various institutions. Additional publications are in the Miscellaneous Series. Daily operations of The Duke Endowment are documented in the General Correspondence in the Central Files Series. Some general history about The Endowment is located in the Miscellaneous Series, including a signed copy of the Indenture and anniversary celebrations of the 1930s, 1960s, 1970s, and 1990s.

The Oral History Project Series (RESTRICTED), a project initiated in 1963, records the reminiscences of people who were knowledgeable about Duke University, the Duke family, and North Carolina and the region in general. The interviews were conducted by Frank W. Rounds of the Oral History Project of Columbia University. The correspondence includes outlines of the names of interviewees and the subjects they were to discuss.

Two groups of non-print materials and of oversize materials complete the collection. The Photographic Materials Series (RESTRICTED) contains approximately 200 photographs relating mainly to the Rural Church Division Series, especially the Committees on Church Architecture, and to the Miscellaneous Series. Several audio cassette recordings in the Audiovisual Materials Series (RESTRICTED) document miscellaneous meetings and addresses pertaining to the Health Care and Child Care Divisions Series. Although series from throughout the collection are represented in the Oversize Materials (RESTRICTED), this group is particularly rich in blueprints and other architectural drawings that support related materials in the Miscellaneous Series and in the Rural Church Division Series, Building Grant Files Subseries.

collection icon

The Duke Endowment Reference Collection contains addresses, clippings, ephemera, news releases, information on the Duke Endowment archives housed in the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library at Duke University, as well as various newsletters, reports, and yearbooks concerning the Duke Endowment and Duke Power. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research

collection icon

Duke Family papers, 1885-1992 (bulk 1892-1927) 9 Linear Feet — approx. 3,000 Items

James Buchanan (J.B.) Duke (1856-1925) was known for his business acumen, especially in national and international tobacco industries and hydroelectric power. He was married twice, first to Lillian McCredy, who he divorced in 1906 and then Nanaline Holt Inman, who was his spouse from 1907 until his death in 1925. This collection primarily documents James B. Duke's business and personal activities. Materials include business and personal correspondence, invoices and receipts for both business and personal purchases, financial and legal reports, the last will and testaments of both James B. and Nanaline Duke, and materials documenting the divorce proceedings of J.B. and Lillian McCredy Duke. Miscellaneous records include a booklet tracing the Duke family geneaology.

The Duke Family Papers (formerly DKFM) are part of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Historical Archives which were donated to the Duke University. David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. The collection spans the years 1885 to 1992, although the bulk of the material dates from the 1890s to the mid-1920s. The collection is arranged into six series: Correspondence, Financial Records, Legal Records, Miscellaneous Records, the Divorce Proceedings of James B. Duke and Lillian McCredy Duke, and Architectural Records. The collection primarily documents James B. Duke's business and personal activities. The correspondence is a combination of business and personal letters, with many of the personal letters related to his philanthropy, such as requests from individuals for financial aid and other forms of assistance or favors, such as making investments and employment. Financial records include invoices and receipts for his businesses such as the British American Tobacco Company and the Raritan Power Co., and purchases for his Fifth Avenue mansion in New York City, Duke Farms in New Jersey, and other personal belongings such as furniture, clothing, and jewelry. The collection also documents the administration of the Estate of James B. Duke, including legal proceedings stemming from claims made against the estate after the will of James B. Duke had been executed. A quarter of the collection focuses on the divorce of J.B. Duke and his first wife Lillian, including statements and affidavits of witnesses involved in the divorce proceedings.Miscellaneous records include a booklet tracing the Duke family geneaology and the Duke Name Project including incomplete names of Duke family members. The architectural records include one drawing for J.B. Duke's home in Charlotte, North Carolina. The remaining architectural records document the residence of Walker P. Inman. The materials in this collection are arranged loosely in chronological order.

collection icon
Duke University has celebrated anniversaries of two major founding events: the establishment of continuous education at Brown's Schoolhouse in Randolph County, N.C., in 1838, and the creation of the Duke Endowment, which transformed Trinity College into Duke University in 1924. As a result, the institution commemorated the 100th Anniversary of its beginnings in Randolph County in 1938/1939, the 50th Anniversary of the Duke Endowment and founding of Duke University in 1974/1975, the 150th Anniversary of its beginnings in Randolph County in 1988/1989, and the 75th Anniversary of the Duke Endowment and founding of Duke University in 1999/2000. The Duke University Anniversaries Collection includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, printed matter, programs, speeches, a sound recording, a diary, acknowledgements from other institutions, a time capsule, and other materials relating to events commemorating the beginnings and founding of Duke University. Major subjects include events planning, fund raising, Duke University, Trinity College (Randolph Co., N.C. and Durham, N.C.), Normal College (Randolph Co., N.C.), Union Institute (Randolph Co., N.C.), and Brown's Schoolhouse (Randolph Co., N.C.). English.

The Duke University Anniversaries Collection is divided into four series, arranged by anniversary. 50th Anniversary (1924-1974) of the founding of Duke University series includes correspondence, planning materials, programs, meeting minutes, financial statements, printed matter, and clippings created by the 50th Anniversary Steering and Advisory Committees. Materials range in date from 1973 to 1975. The 75th Anniversary (1924-1999) of the founding of Duke University series includes logos, a commemorative mailing cancellation stamp, a press release, and a sound recording of a speech given by John Koskinen on the Y2K conversion. Materials range in date from 1999 to 2000.

The 100th Anniversary (1838-1938) of the beginnings of Duke University series includes printed materials, correspondence, Centennial Fund records, a diary, publications, invitation lists, congratulations from other institutions, and several complete packets of centennial celebration materials. Also included is a time capsule, labeled: "1939-2039. A collection of items presented to the President of Duke University at the Centennial Celebration, April 22, 1939; not to be opened until the occasion of the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the institution." Materials range in date from 1937 to 1939. Finally, the 150th Anniversary (1838-1988) of the beginnings of Duke University series includes articles, printed matter, correspondence, clippings, subject files, photographs, programs, and financial materials. Major subjects include Sesquicentennial Celebration planning and events, the historical marker for Brown's Schoolhouse, and the plaque and maintenance of the Trinity College Memorial Gazebo in Randolph County. Materials range in date from 1988 to 2000 (bulk 1988-1989). The collection also includes a program from the Centennial Celebration of the relocation of Trinity College to Durham, 1992.

collection icon

Field Education Program records, 1926 - 1971 4.5 Linear Feet — 3000 Items

The Field Education Program administers a full-time summer term and a part-time academic term placements of divinity and church ministries graduate students. The Program began in 1926 under the supervision of Prof. Jesse M. Ormond, but its origins may lie in James B. Duke's donations for assisting rural N.C. churches starting around 1915. The Summer Preaching Program, as it was first known, was administered by the School of Religion in cooperation with the Rural Church Section of The Duke Endowment. Administrative records from the Field Education Program of the Duke University Divinity School. The records include correspondence and reports, 1926-1971, and administrative files, 1960-1971, documenting primarily clinical training programs. English.

Administrative records from the Field Education Program of the Duke University Divinity School. The records include correspondence and reports, 1926-1971, and administrative files, 1960-1971, documenting primarily clinical training programs.

collection icon
Henry E. Rauch was an accountant, businessman, and executive who served on the Board of Trustees of Duke University. An executive and Chairman of the Board at Burlington Industries, he served on Duke's Board of Trustees from 1964-1974. He largely was responsible for the Trustee response to the Duke Vigil in 1968 and closely involved with the expansion of the Duke Medical Center from 1970-1978. The Henry E. Rauch papers include materials related to Henry Rauch's time as a member of the Duke University Board of Trustees, some autobiographical notes on Henry Rauch's personal and professional life, and excerpts from Board of Trustee meeting minutes related to Henry Rauch. Much of the material related to Rauch's tenure in the Board of Trustees was gathered together as a scrapbook, and includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, reports, and typed notes on his particular role and involvement in events, such as the Duke Vigil and in the development of the Duke Medical Center.

The Henry E. Rauch papers include materials related to Henry Rauch's time as a member of the Duke University Board of Trustees, as well as some autobiographical notes on Henry Rauch's personal and professional life. Much of the material related to Rauch's tenure in the Board of Trustees was gathered together as a scrapbook, and includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, reports, and typed notes on his particular role and involvement in events, such as the Duke Vigil and in the development of the Duke Medical Center. Also included are excerpts from Board of Trustee meeting minutes relating to Henry Rauch, often including handwritten annotations by him.

The collection is arranged into five series: Autobiographical materials, Duke Scrapbooks, Board of Trustees meeting minutes excerpts, Photographs, and Awards. Autobiographical materials include copies of typed chapters describing Henry Rauch's personal and professional life not including his involvement with Duke University. Duke Scrapbooks include materials which were gathered into scrapbooks by Henry Rauch and were disassembled prior to their transfer to the University Archives; these include materials related to Rauch's involvement in Board of Trustees committees, particularly related to the Medical Center and the Duke Vigil in 1968. Board of Trustees meeting minutes excerpts relate to the actions and contributions of Henry Rauch, and many include his handwritten annotations and explanations. Photographs and Awards both include oversized materials, many of which are mounted on boards and were removed from frames. These relate to Rauch's involvement with the Board of Trustees, the Medical Center Board of Visitors, and outside organizations.

collection icon

H. Keith H. Brodie, Chancellor, records, 1970 - 1985 34.5 Linear Feet — 23,000 Items

H. Keith H. Brodie came to Duke in 1974 as professor and chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and director of Psychiatric Services at Duke University Medical Center. Dr. Brodie served as Duke's Chancellor from 1982 to 1985 and as Duke's President from 1985 to 1993. Collection includes university administrative records, personal papers, manuscripts, photographs, printed matter, memorabilia, and other material created or received by Dr. Brodie during his tenure as Chancellor, 1982-1985. Subjects include admissions, the Academic Council, alumni, committees and campaigns, athletics, The Duke Endowment, various university departments, the Medical Center, and Student Affairs. English.

Collection includes university administrative records, personal papers, manuscripts, photographs, printed matter, memorabilia, and other material created or received by Dr. Brodie during his his tenure as Chancellor, 1982-1985. Subjects include admissions, the Academic Council, alumni, committees and campaigns, athletics, The Duke Endowment, various university departments, the Medical Center, and Student Affairs.

collection icon

H. Keith H. Brodie, President, records, 1963 - 1994 178.5 Linear Feet — 120,000 Items

H. Keith H. Brodie came to Duke in 1974 as professor and chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and director of Psychiatric Services at Duke University Medical Center. Dr. Brodie served as Duke's Chancellor from 1982 to 1985 and as Duke's President from 1985 to 1993. Collection includes university administrative records, personal papers, manuscripts, photographs, printed matter, memorabilia, and other material created or received by Dr. Brodie during his tenure as President, 1985-1993. Included are materials generated by the inauguration of Dr. Brodie as president of Duke University, Dr. Leslie Banner's working files for speeches and other presentations given by President Brodie, and subject files containing correspondence, memoranda, speeches, reports, and other materials. Subjects include admissions, the Academic Council, alumni, committees and campaigns, athletics, The Duke Endowment, various university departments, the Medical Center, and Student Affairs. English.

Collection includes university administrative records, personal papers, manuscripts, photographs, printed matter, memorabilia, and other material created or received by Dr. Brodie during his tenure as President, 1985-1993. Included are materials generated by the inauguration of Dr. Brodie as president of Duke University, Dr. Leslie Banner's working files for speeches and other presentations given by President Brodie, and subject files containing correspondence, memoranda, speeches, reports, and other materials. Subjects include admissions, the Academic Council, alumni, committees and campaigns, athletics, The Duke Endowment, various university departments, the Medical Center, and Student Affairs.