Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Names Duke University -- Admission Remove constraint Names: Duke University -- Admission

Search Results

collection icon
In 1953, Richard L. Tuthill was appointed University Registrar in an effort to centralize the records-keeping processes of the different schools. Broadly stated, the office of the University Registrar had three major responsibilities: 1) admissions, 2) registration, and 3) student records. By 1958, the office of the University Registrar consisted of the Central Records Office and the office of Undergraduate Admissions. Following Tuthill's resignation in 1969, Clark Cahow was appointed Registrar and held the position through 1986. The collection includes grade books from Normal and Trinity Colleges from the years 1853-1926, subject files from the tenures of Tuthill and Cahow, statistical information kept on student admissions, enrollment, and grade performance at Duke University since 1925, the official schedules of courses for semesters and summer school from 1932 to the present, mailings to students from the University, departments, and campus organizations, and microfilmed copies of student transcripts from about 1932 to 1969. The subject files include information on financial aid, the Consortium on Financing Higher Education, university curricula, and the Undergraduate Faculty Council of Arts and Sciences. English.

The collection includes grade books from Normal and Trinity Colleges from the years 1853-1926, subject files from the tenures of Tuthill and Cahow, statistical information kept on student admissions, enrollment, and grade performance at Duke University since 1925, the official schedules of courses for semesters and summer school from 1932 to the present, mailings to students from the University, departments, and campus organizations, and microfilmed copies of student transcripts from about 1932 to 1969. The subject files include information on financial aid, the Consortium on Financing Higher Education, university curricula, and the Undergraduate Faculty Council of Arts and Sciences.

The bulk of the material covers the early 1950s and through the early 1980s, encompassing the tenures of Richard Tuthill and Clark Cahow. The records consist chiefly of correspondence, memoranda, reports, and statistical information. The records reflect the Registrar's current responsibilities for student records and registration, along with former duties concerning student admissions. Two small collections have been incorporated into the record group: 1. Clark Cahow Papers, 1958-1974 (A77-29); 2. University Schedule Committee records, 1970-1982 (A76-188 and A82-92). The Cahow Papers primarily contained records of the office of Registrar. The Schedule Committee seems to have reported directly to the Registrar's office at one time and someone from the Registrar's office served on the Committee.

collection icon
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions coordinates admissions for Trinity College and the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University. Records include applications to Trinity College prior to the founding of Duke University (1911-1925), the administrative files of Admissions Director Robert H. Ballantyne (1967-1974), one file from Admissions Director Richard Steele, and a printed version of the website from 2001.

Records include applications to Trinity College prior to the founding of Duke University (1911-1925); administrative files of Admissions Director Robert H. Ballantyne (1967-1974) and one file from Admissions Director Richard Steele; and a printed version of the office's website from 2001, including a directory of the site and its contents.

collection icon
The Dean of Trinity College of Arts and Sciences is the University's principal spokesperson for the needs of undergraduate education. The Dean is involved in the processes of academic budgeting and in the appointment, promotion and retention of faculty. The collection contains correspondence, reports, brochures, pamphlets, booklets, meeting minutes and meeting agendas, in addition to Course Synopsis Handbooks. There are also clippings and articles that relate to broad topics such as trends in faculty salaries and student populations. Dates range from 1911-2006.

Collection contains correspondence, reports, brochures, pamphlets, booklets, meeting minutes, and meeting agendas, in addition to Course Synopsis Handbooks. There are also clippings and articles that relate to broad topics such as trends in faculty salaries and student populations. The 2019 accession includes staff meeting minutes, reports, and materials from the Curriculum Committee.

collection icon
The Duke University Undergraduate Faculty Council of Arts and Sciences (UFCAS), established in 1971, guided undergraduate education in arts and sciences, adopted academic regulations and admissions policies, advised on financial aid and recognized academic achievement. It succeeded the Undergraduate Faculty Council after the body no longer included representatives from the engineering and nursing schools. In 1991, UFCAS voted to disband and reorganize as the Arts and Sciences Council. Records include bylaws, minutes, correspondence, memoranda, rosters, reports, and other records of the Undergraduate Faculty Council of Arts and Sciences at Duke University. Most of the records were created by the UFCAS Committees, which included: Curriculum, Courses of Instruction, Honors, Study Abroad, Program II, Academic Standards, Advising, Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid, Residential Life, Freshman Year, Advanced Placement, Athletics and Recreation, Health Science Education, and Non-western Studies. Materials range in date from 1968 to 1991. English.

Records include bylaws, minutes, correspondence, memoranda, rosters, reports, and other records of the Undergraduate Faculty Council of Arts and Sciences at Duke University. The Program II files contain some identifiable student records and are regulated by FERPA. The records also contains materials from a prior body, the Undergraduate Faculty Council, which concern ongoing matters.

collection icon
Formed in 1952, the Undergraduate Faculty Council (UFC) was responsible for the governance of undergraduate education at Duke University. The Undergraduate Faculty Council of Arts and Sciences succeeded the UFC in October 1971, when undergraduate education in engineering and nursing formed separate governing bodies. Collection includes minutes, memoranda, correspondence, questionnaires, reports of standing and ad hoc committees, and other papers pertaining to faculty oversight of undergraduate education. The bulk of the material consists of the records of the Subcommittee on Curriculum, a part of the Committee on Undergraduate Instruction. Other committees include Honors, Program II, the Faculty Advisory System, Residential Life, Study Abroad, Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid, and Academic Standards. One of the major accomplishments of the UFC was a report called "Varieties of Learning Experience," or the Krueger Report (1968), which led to major changes in the undergraduate course of study known as the "new curriculum." English.

Collection includes minutes, memoranda, correspondence, and questionnaires, reports of standing and ad hoc committees, and other papers pertaining to faculty oversight of undergraduate education. The bulk of the material consists of the records of the Subcommittee on Curriculum, a part of the Committee on Undergraduate Instruction. The Subcommittee's records feature the Krueger report, "Varieties of Learning Experience (1968), which led to the substantial changes in the undergraduate courses of study known as the "new curriculum." These files include results of a survey of faculty members and freshmen participating in small group learning experiences. The other major curriculum study is the Parker report (1960).

The Program II files contain material from the period after 1971, when the Undergraduate Faculty Council of Arts and Sciences was formed. Records of the Supervisory Committee for the Faculty Advisory System include scattered minutes of the committee, memoranda, correspondence, and reports, as well as handbooks for faculty advisers from 1952 to 1964. A number of ad hoc and superseded committees' files are also in the collection.

collection icon
The University Committee on Long Range Planning, formed in 1958, was set up to give administrative consideration to matters of educational programming and policy at Duke University. The Committee's first chairman was Paul M. Gross. Its name changed to the University Planning Committee in 1962. The collection includes correspondence, memoranda, reports, minutes, clippings, pamphlets, charts, projections, and books. It consists of records relating to the academic, faculty, and institutional development of the university. Major subjects include university planning administration, student life, institutional development, enrollment, admissions, and academic life. English.

The collection consists of records relating to the Committee on Long Range Planning's involvement with academic, faculty, and institutional development of the University. Correspondence, memoranda, reports, hand-written and typed minutes, clippings, pamphlets, charts, projections, books, comprise this collection. Materials range in date from 1958-1962. Although the majority of the materials were created by the Committee, some reference materials from other sources were collected by the Committee in relation to its work, including letters, reports, booklets and pamphlets about other schools and programs.

Major subjects include University and planning administration, student life (dormitories, athletics, and extracurricular activities), institutional development (philosophical beginnings and practical implementations), enrollment and admission (test data, alumni involvement, prediction equations and geographical distribution) and academic/intellectual life (graduate and undergraduate schools and departments, curriculum information and planning and faculty development).

This collection is divided into six (6) series: Minutes and Agendas, 1958-1962; Meeting Files, 1959-1961; Correspondence, 1958-1962; Reports and Recommendations, 1958-1962; and Reference Materials, 1958-1962; and Subcommittees and Committees, 1958-1962.

The Minutes and Agendas [1958-1962] series includes minutes, agendas, and summaries, and it chronicles the development of planning at the University. Meeting Files [1959-1961] is arranged chronologically and includes memos, letters, reports, booklets, bulletins, news clippings, and statistical information specifically discussed at meetings of the Committee. The materials in the meeting files, in some cases, can be matched against the materials delineated in the Committee minutes. The Committee met almost weekly during the academic year, from 1958-1962.

The Correspondence [1958-1962] represents the wide range of issues faced by the Committee. Primary correspondents consist of the President of the University, the Provost, faculty and staff members of the University, and expert professors and professionals from other universities; these include R. Taylor Cole, Marcus E. Hobbs, Paul M. Gross, A. Hollis Edens, Daryl J. Hart, Richard L. Predmore, Frank DeVyver, and Alan K. Manchester.

The Reports and Recommendations [1958-1962] series is arranged alphabetically. It includes reports and recommendations from academic and non-academic departments, graduate and professional schools, visiting experts on academic programs and departments, and University faculty and staff. Reference Materials [1958-1962] are arranged alphabetically. These folders contain reports, charts, pamphlets, and statistics collected by the Committee for use during its work.

The Subcommittees and Committees [1958-1962] series is arranged topically. The Long Range Planning Committee had a number of subcommittees, but this series includes reports, recommendations, correspondence and records of a few of these committees: the Committee on the Undergraduate Colleges, 1959-1960; the Committee on Faculty and Staff Improvement, 1960-1961; and the Committee on Professional and Graduate School, 1958-1962.