Chanticleer Photograph collection, 1998-ongoing 29 Linear Feet — 22,500 items Items
The Chanticleer Photograph Collection includes photographs, slides, negatives and contact sheets. Duplicates exist throughout the collection. The collection also includes editing notes from Chanticleer staff. Most of the photographs are in black and white, although there are some in color, and the majority of them are unidentified. They range in date from circa 1998-ongoing.
Chapel Reference collection, 1933-ongoing 2.1 Linear Feet — 2250 Items
The Chapel Reference Collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research. It includes subject files ordered alphabetically on various subjects relating to the Chapel. Some prominent subjects include: administrative history of the Chapel; the organs (Aeolian, Brombaugh, Flentrop); calendar of events; carillon; Chapel choir; sarcophagi; special services/events; weddings; and windows.
Duke Chapel records, 1920-[ongoing] 47 Linear Feet — 0.23 Gigabytes
Contains material pertaining to the operation and activities of the Duke University Chapel and ranges in date from 1920-[ongoing]. The records are arranged in six series: administrative records, carillon/carilloneur, exercise programs and bulletins, sermons, registers and logbooks, and general files.
The Administrative records contain material created and accumulated by the Chapel Development Officer as well as the records of various committees including Chapel renovation and organ. Carillon material includes program logbooks created by the University Carillonneur and a special carillon program in honor of Terry Sanford. The exercise programs series is composed of printed programs from various services and exercises held in the Chapel: Sunday Service of Worship, Elementary Service, Faculty Service, Service for Elected Officials, various recitals, and Easter, Lenten, and Christmas services. The sermons series contains transcripts of sermons performed in the Chapel by various ministers, faculty, and guests of the University including William H. Willimon, James T. Cleland, Howard C. Wilkinson, and Waldo Beach. Registers and logbooks contains oversize bound volumes documenting Chapel attendance and weddings, baptisms, and funerals held in the Chapel. General files primarily consists of reference material used by Chapel staff: informal histories, information about chapel windows and exterior sculpture, informal patron inquiries, and various printed material. Major subjects include building and grounds, organ (Flentrop and Aeolian), tower and elevator, Chapel policies, weddings, and Chapel photo albums. Also present in the collection are programs for special services held in the Chapel observing V-E and V-J Days and the Chapel's dedication ceremony in 1935.
Duke Photography Records, 1960-2018 120 Linear Feet
The collection includes many of the photographs taken by Duke Photography in the course of its work as the official photographic service of Duke University. Photographs include images of administrators, students, faculty, staff, visiting speakers, artists, and celebrities, campus and classroom scenes, athletic events, buildings and construction on campus, theatrical and other performances, members of the Board of Trustees, parties and events, and many other subjects.
Photographs include both analog and digital formats; the majority of the analog photographs are on 35mm film, although other photographic mediums are present. Most jobs include all or most of the original images and may or may not indicate which images were selected for use.
The description for images included in this finding aid was provided by Duke Photography in the course of their record-keeping and is incomplete. Broad subject categories divised by Duke Photography were often applied to jobs, but this categorization was not always applied or consistent. The vast majority of job numbers have some description indicating the topic, event, or individuals featured, but does not include identification of every individual, event, or date. Some job numbers do not have any description provided.
Duke University Archives Photographic Negative collection, 1855-1995 19.5 Linear Feet
Contains negatives and some matching prints of University-related subjects, including people (i.e. faculty, trustees, students, etc.), buildings, construction, schools and departments. While dates range from 1855-1995, it is necessary to note that the majority of the negatives are copy negatives, rather than originals. While a good number of original negatives are included in this collection, the user should be aware that some of the corresponding dates refer to when the copy negative was made, not when the original picture was taken. In most cases, it is noted on the negative sleeve if the negative is a copy or an original. Furthermore, users should be aware that some negatives are of published material. For instance, several pages from the Chanticleer and the Chronicle were photographed and the negatives were kept. On some of the sleeves, users will find notes presumably made by the photographer regarding print quality.
An attempt was made to bring a cohesiveness to the negative collection for easier patron and staff access. The negatives are arranged in the following series: Subject Negatives, General Negatives, Building Negatives, Construction Negatives, Faculty Negatives, Medical Center Negatives, and Numbered Negatives. The Numbered Negatives are copy negatives pulled from the larger University Archives Photograph Collection. Any future additions to the negative collection will follow the numbering format.
Duke University Progress Pictures collection, 1925-1932 3.5 Linear Feet — approximately 1000 Items
There is one set of pictures for East Campus and two sets for West, and modern copy prints and copy negatives of some images. One set of the West Campus images (#2) is not accessioned. The other (#1) was received from the estate of W.F. Lee, likely a son of Arthur C. Lee who was the chief engineer for the construction. It is the more complete set (A93-73: five volumes + 25 unbound prints).
Most of the prints are numbered and dated on the front in white ink, and many for West Campus have a number, date, and description of the verso. Some of the prints were made into glass slides; these slides are in the Frank Clyde Brown Papers.
The collection includes approximately 1000 mounted images in two bound sets (copy 1 and copy 2), along several file folders of mounted and unmounted prints. The images range in date from 1925-1932.
The work of at least three photographers is represented in the Progress Pictures. For the East Campus photos, there are prints having the same base number with an A or B suffix, but which were taken on different dates. Some are marked on the verso "from Ramsey Studio, Durham, N.C." and others "Whitney's Camera Craft Shop, 106 1/2 E. Main St., Durham". The "A" and "B" designations are not consistent, and we cannot say that Ramsey was photographer "A and Whitney "B". Ramsey's work predominates in the early photographs and Whitney's in the later. Whitney's work is also represented in the West Campus pictures.
Also in the West Campus mounted prints are pictures marked "C.W. Richardson, Photographer, Duke University" or "Richardson's Photo Serviceâ€¦" According to the Bulletin of Duke University, volume 24, no.7a "The first twenty years" a C.W. Richardson was a member of the staff of the medical art and illustration division, which was started in 1933 (p. 44) and which included photographers. There are also unmounted numbered and unnumbered prints taken by Richardson. Some of these prints are marked News Service or Alumni Affairs. Some mounted West Campus prints are not credited, or if they were stamped by the photographer, the stamp has been covered by the mounting linen. Among the unmounted numbered and unnumbered prints, some are stamped News Service or Alumni Affairs.
The Progress Pictures are offered in jpeg format but are also available as high resolution .tif files.
Educational Facilities Committee records, 1962-1986 5 Linear Feet
The collection consists of records relating to the building, renovation, and maintenance of the physical plant of the University, as addressed by the Committee. Correspondence, memoranda, reports (typed and annotated), minutes, clippings, charts, projections, blueprints, and maps comprise the collection. There exists some material that predates and postdates the span dates of this collection. Although most of the material was created during the general functioning of the Committee, there exists some material not produced by this organization. This material includes letters, reports, booklets, and clippings. Major subjects include student life (dorms, dining halls, student center), the Arts Center, landscaping, the Medical Center, the Art Museum, auditoria, libraries, space assignment and relocation, athletic facilities, and the University Union.
Faculty Club of Duke University records, 1918-1976 0.7 Linear Feet
Records were created by members and officers of the Faculty Club of Trinity College (and Duke University) between 1918 and 1976. The records consist of one box of foldered materials and one volume of Faculty Club records (1918 to 1933), which includes minutes of the Board of Governors. The collection primarily contains reports, correspondence, and minutes. It also consists of memoranda, agendas, programs, lists, questionnaires, the organization's charter and bylaws, and newspaper clippings.
Frank C. Brown papers, 1899-1943 30 Linear Feet
The Frank C. Brown Papers include both Personal papers and Subject files relating to his career as a student, professor, and folklorist and also to his role in the construction of the Duke University campuses. The Personal papers series includes correspondence, biographical information, writings, addresses, lectures, clippings, diaries, coursework, blueprints, and slides. It includes correspondence with the Horace Trumbauer architectural firm, manufacturers' literature, construction progress reports, diaries of trips made in 1924 and 1926 to look at other campuses, and a lantern slide presentation on the campus. This series contains records documenting James B. Duke's views on architecture and his involvement in the planning of the campus. Also present is a diary/scrapbook kept by Brown and President William Preston Few during a 1924 tour during which they visited some twenty colleges and universities around the Eastern United States.
The Subject files series contains the alphabetical office files of Frank C. Brown. The bulk of the files pertain to the construction of the Duke University campuses and include information on planning, design, building materials, furnishings, builders, manufacturers, and vendors. A few items interfiled in the Subject files series relate to Brown's activities as a faculty member and as a member of professional and academic organizations.