Silent film clip of Trent Room dedication at Duke University Medical Library, 1956 April 20 .2 Linear Feet — 2 videocassettes; 1 digital mp4 file — VHS (TRT: 00:02:00)
This silent black-and-white film clip copied from a videocassete copy tape is from the April 20, 1956 dedication of the Trent Room History of Medicine Collections at Duke University. The ceremony was held at Duke's Medical Library in the new Trent Room. Speakers include Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans, Duke President A. Hollis Edens, Dean Wilburt C. Davison, John Fulton, and James T. Cleland. Attendees at the ceremony also included the Trent daughters. The recording is about two minutes long; the sound element has been lost.
The medical artifacts and books briefly shown in the film are from the History of Medicine Collection assembled by Duke surgeon and faculty member Dr. Josiah Charles Trent. The collection was donated by the Trent family to Duke and eventually displayed in the Trent Room and the Medical Library, and is now in the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library at Duke.
Acquired as part of the History of Medicine Collections at Duke University.