Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: University Archives Record Group 03 — University-wide Interdisciplinary programs Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 03 — University-wide Interdisciplinary programs

Search Results

collection icon

Army Research Office--Durham (AROD) records, 1957-1982 2.7 Linear Feet — approx. 200 items

The Office of Ordnance Research (OOR), U.S. Army, a Class II military institution, established offices on the Duke University campus in June 1951. On January 16, 1961 the OOR ceased to exist and was instead re-designated as the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD) under the command of the Chief, Research and Development. The 1960s and 1970s saw a weakening in the working relationship between the military and the scientific communities. In the spring of 1975, ARO left the Duke campus and moved to the Research Triangle Park, ten miles southeast of Durham. Collection contains materials pertaining to the mission and organization of the U.S. Army Office of Ordinance Research, the forerunner of the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD). The materials in the collection span the years 1957-1982.

Collection contains materials pertaining to the mission and organization of the U.S. Army Office of Ordinance Research, the forerunner of the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD). Materials include summaries of the activities of the Duke/AROD coordination office for the fiscal years 1966, 1969-1971, and a scrapbook dated 1959. The scrapbook contains photographs of Duke officials, Ordnance office chiefs, various dedication events and ceremonies, event guest lists, official luncheons, and RTP exhibit, all from 1959. The materials in the collection span the years 1957-1982.

collection icon

Center for Canadian Studies records, 1971-1993 0.5 Linear Feet — 500 Items

The Center for Canadian Studies was established as an independent center devoted to the study of Canada in 1973. The collection includes reports, newsletters, clippings, announcements, conference programs, occasional papers, memoranda, brochures, slides, curricula, and other materials. Materials range in date from 1971-1993.

The collection includes reports, newsletters, clippings, announcements, conference programs, occasional papers, memoranda, brochures, slides, curricula, and other materials relating to the Center. Materials range in date from 1971-1993.

collection icon

Center for Documentary Studies records, 1990-[ongoing] 14.6 Linear Feet — 13,050 Items

The Center for Documentary Studies opened in January 1990 and is an outgrowth of and replacement for the Center for Documentary Photography (1980-1990). The Center combines traditions of documentary photography and film, writing, oral history, and scholarly analysis in seeking to capture life experiences. Collection contains publications, calendars, announcement, brochures, newspaper and magazine clippings, a videocassette, and other materials such as administrative files and electronic files. The materials date from 1990 and the collection is ongoing.

Collection contains publications, calendars, announcement, brochures, newspaper and magazine clippings, a videocassette, and other materials. Publications include Up for Grabs (1996-). Also included is a videocassette of the opening of the CDS, 23 January 1990, features remarks by Center director Iris Hill, and Dean R. A. White, Robert Coles, and Reynolds Price. Accessions UA2010-0024 and UA2011-0003 contain promotion materials including exhibit postcards and administrative records. The administrative records are restricted for 25 years from date of origin.

collection icon
Contains the records of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, an interdisciplinary degree-granting program for scholars at Duke University. The Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies was established around 1968 in an effort to join and strengthen the medieval and renaissance programs at Duke University. Also includes materials of the Committee on Medieval and Renaissance Studies concerning the development of the program, the Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, and the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Types of materials include correspondence, budgets, newsletters, curriculum planning materials, announcements, reports, and minutes. Major subjects include the Duke University faculty, Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, university cooperation, renaissance study and teaching, and humanities study and teaching. Materials range in date from 1966 to 1982. English.

Contains correspondence, newsletters, curriculum planning materials, budgets, announcements, reports, and minutes pertaining to the establishment and operation of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies at Duke University. This collection reflects cooperative curriculum development among faculty of fine arts, sciences, literature, history, religion and philosophy departments. Materials range in date from 1966 to 1982.

collection icon
The Center for Southern Studies in the Social Sciences and the Humanities was an interdisciplinary center established in 1965 in order to help "organize and systematize existing scholarly interest" in Southern Studies at Duke and elsewhere. Past chairs include Edgar T. Thompson and Thomas H. Naylor. The Center folded in the late 1970s. Collection contains materials pertaining to operation and activities of the Center for Southern Studies in the Social Studies and the Humanities including correspondence, minutes, manuscripts, printed matter, clippings, and other materials. Materials range in date from 1961-1969, with the bulk dates of 1965-1967.

Collection contains materials pertaining to operation and activities of the Center for Southern Studies in the Social Studies and the Humanities including correspondence, minutes, manuscripts, printed matter, clippings, and other materials, with the bulk dates of 1965-1967. In 1966, the Center sponsored an inaugural symposium, "The Changing South: An Agenda for Research." Approximately half of the material present consists of correspondence and copies of the papers that were presented at the symposium. Materials range in date from 1961-1969, with the bulk dates of 1965-1967.

collection icon
The Cycles of Struggle: Genealogies of the Local Left conference was held at Duke University on November 11-12, 2005 with the purpose to "revisit the history of political organizing at Duke, in Durham, and in North Carolina… bringing to light the memory of this rich local history [to] inspire those already involved today in various forms of activism and those who might become involved in the future." Collection includes postcards, pamphlets, flyers, publications, comic strips, statement of purpose, and conference schedule. Collection includes postcards, pamphlets, flyers, publications, comic strips, statement of purpose, and conference schedule.

Collection includes postcards, pamphlets, flyers, publications, comic strips, statement of purpose, and conference schedule for the Cycles of Struggle: Genealogies of the Local Left conference held at Duke University, Nov. 11-12, 2005.

collection icon
The Duke Human Rights Center at the Franklin Humanities Institute is an interdisciplinary center focused on promoting education and action around human rights, which offers an undergraduate certification. The Duke Human Rights Center at the Franklin Humanities Institute records include materials related to programs and events run by the DHRC, as well as other materials.

The Duke Human Rights Center at Franklin Humanities Institute records include promotional and other event-related materials, project information, grant materials, and other administrative materials. Included are posters, DVDs, correspondence, and other materials. Most materials are publicly-distributed promotional materials.

collection icon
The Duke-UNC Center for Research on Women was founded in 1982 as a collaborative endeavor between Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to promote Women's Studies scholarship, research, and curriculum development in the South. The project was originally named the Duke-UNC Women's Studies Research Center, but changed its name to the Duke-UNC Center for Research on Women in 1987. The Center operated with support from the Ford Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation, smaller grants from local foundations, and institutional backing from Duke and UNC. The records contain correspondence, reports, grant documents, audiotapes, a videotape, and other materials relating to the Center for Research on Women. Major subjects include women's studies curriculum development and research, pay equity, and the relationships between race, class, and gender. Materials range in date from 1982 to 1992. English.

The records of the Duke University/University of North Carolina Center for Research on Women contain correspondence, reports, grant documents, audiotapes, a videotape, and other materials relating to the Center for Research on Women. Major subjects include women's studies curriculum development and research, pay equity, and the relationships between race, class, and gender. Materials range in date from 1982 to 1992.

Some of the materials in this collection are not immediately accessible because they require further processing before use. Please contact the University Archives before visiting to use this collection.

collection icon

Educom records, 1963-1972 3.75 Linear Feet — 3750 Items

Educom (The Interuniversity Communications Council) was formed to provide universities an effective means of collaboration in their efforts to utilize the potential benefits of the emerging communications sciences for educational pursuits. Contains materials that reflect Duke University's membership in Educom and includes correspondence, Educom Bulletins, reports, and minutes. The collection ranges in date from 1963-1972.

Contains materials that reflect Duke University's membership in Educom and includes correspondence, Educom Bulletins, reports, and minutes. The collection ranges in date from 1963-1972.

collection icon
The John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute at Duke University, often referred to as the Franklin Humanities Institute (FHI), is an interdisciplinary humanities center. The Franklin Humanities Institute Records include annual reports, meeting notes, position descriptions, and planning documents.

The Franklin Humanities Institute Records include materials from the FHI's first decade, particularly annual reports, bylaws, meeting notes, position descriptions, grant application materials, and planning documents.