Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: University Archives Record Group 03 -- University-wide Interdisciplinary programs Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 03 -- University-wide Interdisciplinary programs University Archives Record Group 26 -- Interdisciplinary Institutes, Research Centers, and Departments Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 26 -- Interdisciplinary Institutes, Research Centers, and Departments
Number of results to display per page
View results as:

Search Results

Triangle Universities Computation Center (TUCC) records, 1954-1990 and undated

18.2 Linear Feet — 11,400 Items
The Triangle Universities Computation Center (TUCC) was incorporated in 1965 as a cooperative venture between Duke University, North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with the goal of providing main-frame computing services, such as electronic data and batch processing, to the universities, RTI International and others. It dissolved in 1990 due to financial difficulties, the increased use of personal computers, and disagreements among the partners. Materials in the collection include administrative records, correspondence, meeting minutes, financial and statistical reports, memoranda, proposals, newsletters, photographs, slides, a scrapbook, and other materials from the Triangle Universities Computation Center.

The TUCC records spans the years 1954-1990. The collection is arranged into two series: Administrative Records, 1954-1990 and Visual Materials, 1966-1989 and undated.

Materials in the collection include administrative records, correspondence, meeting minutes, financial and statistical reports, memoranda, proposals, newsletters, photographs, slides, a scrapbook, and other materials from the Triangle Universities Computation Center.

1 result in this collection

Army Research Office--Durham (AROD) records, 1957-1982

2.7 Linear Feet — approx. 200 items
The Office of Ordnance Research (OOR), U.S. Army, a Class II military institution, established offices on the Duke University campus in June 1951. On January 16, 1961 the OOR ceased to exist and was instead re-designated as the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD) under the command of the Chief, Research and Development. The 1960s and 1970s saw a weakening in the working relationship between the military and the scientific communities. In the spring of 1975, ARO left the Duke campus and moved to the Research Triangle Park, ten miles southeast of Durham. Collection contains materials pertaining to the mission and organization of the U.S. Army Office of Ordinance Research, the forerunner of the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD). The materials in the collection span the years 1957-1982.

Collection contains materials pertaining to the mission and organization of the U.S. Army Office of Ordinance Research, the forerunner of the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD). Materials include summaries of the activities of the Duke/AROD coordination office for the fiscal years 1966, 1969-1971, and a scrapbook dated 1959. The scrapbook contains photographs of Duke officials, Ordnance office chiefs, various dedication events and ceremonies, event guest lists, official luncheons, and RTP exhibit, all from 1959. The materials in the collection span the years 1957-1982.

1 result in this collection

Center for Southern Studies in the Social Sciences and the Humanities records, 1961-1969

1 Linear Foot — 1,000 Items
The Center for Southern Studies in the Social Sciences and the Humanities was an interdisciplinary center established in 1965 in order to help "organize and systematize existing scholarly interest" in Southern Studies at Duke and elsewhere. Past chairs include Edgar T. Thompson and Thomas H. Naylor. The Center folded in the late 1970s. Collection contains materials pertaining to operation and activities of the Center for Southern Studies in the Social Studies and the Humanities including correspondence, minutes, manuscripts, printed matter, clippings, and other materials. Materials range in date from 1961-1969, with the bulk dates of 1965-1967.

Collection contains materials pertaining to operation and activities of the Center for Southern Studies in the Social Studies and the Humanities including correspondence, minutes, manuscripts, printed matter, clippings, and other materials, with the bulk dates of 1965-1967. In 1966, the Center sponsored an inaugural symposium, "The Changing South: An Agenda for Research." Approximately half of the material present consists of correspondence and copies of the papers that were presented at the symposium. Materials range in date from 1961-1969, with the bulk dates of 1965-1967.

1 result in this collection

Humanities Council records, 1961 - 1979

0.5 Linear Feet — 500 Items
The Humanities Council of Duke University was created in 1961 to give attention to various matters affecting the humanities departments as a whole, including the advancement of research, interdepartmental and inter-institutional programs, and support for various humanistic activities. The Humanities Council records consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, minutes, clippings, and printed programs relating to planning, resource allocation, curriculum, and state of the humanities at Duke University from 1961 to 1979. Major subjects include graduate studies in anthropology, the Department of Music, the Museum of Art, medieval and renaissance studies, the American Comparative Literature Association, the Cooperative Program in the Humanities between Duke and the University of North Carolina, and the National Humanities Center. English.

The collection consists of records relating to planning, resource allocation, curriculum, and state of the humanities at the University as dealt with by the Committee. Correspondence, memoranda, reports (typed and annotated), minutes, clipping, charts, projections, and printed programs comprise the bulk of this collection. There exist some materials that are not created out of the general functioning of the committee. These materials, while not being direct results of committee work, help to better understand the functioning and role of the Committee in the life of the University. These materials are mainly dedications programs and leaflets, reports, booklets, and reports from outside bodies, such as the American Comparative Literature Association.

1 result in this collection

Organization for Tropical Studies records, 1962 - 1974

10.5 Linear Feet — 10,000 Items
The Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS), founded in 1963, has had its North American Office located at Duke University since 1976. The OTS offers students, faculty, and researchers opportunities to work hands-on in tropical sciences in Costa Rica and other Latin American countries. The Organization for Tropical Studies Records contain correspondence, administrative materials, reports, memoranda, and course materials from the early years of OTS. The focus of the collection is on the administrative structure of OTS and planning the course offerings in Latin America. Major correspondents include Jorge Campabadal, J. T. Spencer, and Kenneth J. Turnbull. Major topics include tropical biology, geography, meteorology, earth science, and forestry, and the National Science Foundation. English.

The Organization for Tropical Studies Records includes correspondence, administrative materials, reports, memoranda, and course materials from the early years of OTS. The focus of the collection is on the administrative structure of OTS and planning the course offerings in Latin America. Major correspondents include Jorge Campabadal, J. T. Spencer, and Kenneth J. Turnbull. Major topics include tropical biology, geography, meteorology, earth science, and forestry, and the National Science Foundation. The collection is organized into two series. The Administrative series contains correspondence from the North American Office, as well as correspondence with OTS administrators and faculty. In addition, the series has information on committees, sources of funding, founding documents, and topics related to the administration of OTS. The second series, Courses, has information on the planning, curriculum, course participants, critiques, and other aspects of educational programming offered by OTS.

1 result in this collection

Educom records, 1963-1972

3.75 Linear Feet — 3750 Items
Educom (The Interuniversity Communications Council) was formed to provide universities an effective means of collaboration in their efforts to utilize the potential benefits of the emerging communications sciences for educational pursuits. Contains materials that reflect Duke University's membership in Educom and includes correspondence, Educom Bulletins, reports, and minutes. The collection ranges in date from 1963-1972.

Contains materials that reflect Duke University's membership in Educom and includes correspondence, Educom Bulletins, reports, and minutes. The collection ranges in date from 1963-1972.

1 result in this collection

University Program in Genetics and Genomics records, 1963-1993

1 Linear Foot — 1000 Items
The University Program in Genetics and Genomics was founded in 1967 and serves as a primary training environment for students at Duke University interested in graduate Genetics and Genomics. This collection includes memoranda, correspondence, publicity material, printed matter and other records.

This collection includes memoranda, correspondence, publicity material, printed matter and other records.

1 result in this collection

Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies records, 1965-1981

8 Linear Feet — 8,000 Items
Contains the records of the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, a cooperative institute established in 1963 under the auspices of the Duke University-University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Cooperative Program in the Humanities. Also contains materials relating to the Duke University Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Types of materials include correspondence, grant proposals, budgets, invitations, rosters, announcements, minutes, local publications, and some conference papers. Major subjects include the Duke University Cooperative Program in the Humanities, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill faculty, Duke University faculty, the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, the Southeastern Renaissance Conference, university cooperation in North Carolina, renaissance study and teaching, and humanities study and teaching. Materials range in date from 1965 to 1981. English.

Contains materials of the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies and the Duke University Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Materials mostly concern session planning and relations with the Cooperative Program in the Humanities. Types of materials include correspondence, grant proposals, budgets, invitations, rosters, announcements, minutes, local publications, and some conference papers. Materials range in date from 1965 to 1981.

1 result in this collection

Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies records, 1966-1982

3 Linear Feet
Contains the records of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, an interdisciplinary degree-granting program for scholars at Duke University. The Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies was established around 1968 in an effort to join and strengthen the medieval and renaissance programs at Duke University. Also includes materials of the Committee on Medieval and Renaissance Studies concerning the development of the program, the Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, and the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Types of materials include correspondence, budgets, newsletters, curriculum planning materials, announcements, reports, and minutes. Major subjects include the Duke University faculty, Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, university cooperation, renaissance study and teaching, and humanities study and teaching. Materials range in date from 1966 to 1982. English.

Contains correspondence, newsletters, curriculum planning materials, budgets, announcements, reports, and minutes pertaining to the establishment and operation of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies at Duke University. This collection reflects cooperative curriculum development among faculty of fine arts, sciences, literature, history, religion and philosophy departments. Materials range in date from 1966 to 1982.

1 result in this collection

Center for Canadian Studies records, 1971-1993

0.5 Linear Feet
The Center for Canadian Studies was established as an independent center devoted to the study of Canada in 1973. The collection includes reports, newsletters, clippings, announcements, conference programs, occasional papers, memoranda, brochures, slides, curricula, and other materials. Materials range in date from 1971-1993.

The collection includes reports, newsletters, clippings, announcements, conference programs, occasional papers, memoranda, brochures, slides, curricula, and other materials relating to the Center. Materials range in date from 1971-1993.

1 result in this collection