Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: University Archives Record Group 26 -- Interdisciplinary Institutes, Research Centers, and Departments Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 26 -- Interdisciplinary Institutes, Research Centers, and Departments University Archives Record Group 03 -- University-wide Interdisciplinary programs Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 03 -- University-wide Interdisciplinary programs
Number of results to display per page
View results as:

Search Results

Collection

Army Research Office--Durham (AROD) records, 1957-1982 2.7 Linear Feet — approx. 200 items

The Office of Ordnance Research (OOR), U.S. Army, a Class II military institution, established offices on the Duke University campus in June 1951. On January 16, 1961 the OOR ceased to exist and was instead re-designated as the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD) under the command of the Chief, Research and Development. The 1960s and 1970s saw a weakening in the working relationship between the military and the scientific communities. In the spring of 1975, ARO left the Duke campus and moved to the Research Triangle Park, ten miles southeast of Durham. Collection contains materials pertaining to the mission and organization of the U.S. Army Office of Ordinance Research, the forerunner of the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD). The materials in the collection span the years 1957-1982.

Collection contains materials pertaining to the mission and organization of the U.S. Army Office of Ordinance Research, the forerunner of the Army Research Office-Durham (AROD). Materials include summaries of the activities of the Duke/AROD coordination office for the fiscal years 1966, 1969-1971, and a scrapbook dated 1959. The scrapbook contains photographs of Duke officials, Ordnance office chiefs, various dedication events and ceremonies, event guest lists, official luncheons, and RTP exhibit, all from 1959. The materials in the collection span the years 1957-1982.

Collection
The Triangle Universities Computation Center (TUCC) was incorporated in 1965 as a cooperative venture between Duke University, North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with the goal of providing main-frame computing services, such as electronic data and batch processing, to the universities, RTI International and others. It dissolved in 1990 due to financial difficulties, the increased use of personal computers, and disagreements among the partners. Materials in the collection include administrative records, correspondence, meeting minutes, financial and statistical reports, memoranda, proposals, newsletters, photographs, slides, a scrapbook, and other materials from the Triangle Universities Computation Center.

The TUCC records spans the years 1954-1990. The collection is arranged into two series: Administrative Records, 1954-1990 and Visual Materials, 1966-1989 and undated.

Materials in the collection include administrative records, correspondence, meeting minutes, financial and statistical reports, memoranda, proposals, newsletters, photographs, slides, a scrapbook, and other materials from the Triangle Universities Computation Center.

Collection
Contains the records of the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, a cooperative institute established in 1963 under the auspices of the Duke University-University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Cooperative Program in the Humanities. Also contains materials relating to the Duke University Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Types of materials include correspondence, grant proposals, budgets, invitations, rosters, announcements, minutes, local publications, and some conference papers. Major subjects include the Duke University Cooperative Program in the Humanities, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill faculty, Duke University faculty, the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, the Southeastern Renaissance Conference, university cooperation in North Carolina, renaissance study and teaching, and humanities study and teaching. Materials range in date from 1965 to 1981. English.

Contains materials of the Southeastern Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies and the Duke University Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Materials mostly concern session planning and relations with the Cooperative Program in the Humanities. Types of materials include correspondence, grant proposals, budgets, invitations, rosters, announcements, minutes, local publications, and some conference papers. Materials range in date from 1965 to 1981.

Collection
The Program on Preparing Minorities for Academic Careers was launched in 1989 with a grant from the Charles A. Dana Foundation to Duke University and five historically black colleges and universities: Spelman College, Xavier University, Morehouse College, Hampton University, and Tuskegee University. The program's purpose was to increase the number of minority undergraduate students preparing for careers as college and university professors.

The collection contains material pertaining to the program's operations and activities at Duke University as well as at the historically black colleges and universities that participated. Present are reports, correspondence, printed material, clippings, and financial records documenting the various facets of the five year effort to educate minority undergraduate students in preparation for careers in college teaching and research. Throughout the records attention is paid to the impact of the program, primarily measured by the students' post-graduate activities. Correspondence and proposals originating from Duke and the Dana Foundation, as well as press releases and clippings provide summary information on the creation and activities of the program.

Student identifiable information is present throughout the majority of the collection and is restricted under FERPA. However, researchers may access the material for use in research as long they agree not to release personally identifiable student information without the prior written consent of the student, and to destroy all student-identifying information at the completion of their research.

Collection

Organization for Tropical Studies records, 1962 - 1974 10.5 Linear Feet — 10,000 Items

The Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS), founded in 1963, has had its North American Office located at Duke University since 1976. The OTS offers students, faculty, and researchers opportunities to work hands-on in tropical sciences in Costa Rica and other Latin American countries. The Organization for Tropical Studies Records contain correspondence, administrative materials, reports, memoranda, and course materials from the early years of OTS. The focus of the collection is on the administrative structure of OTS and planning the course offerings in Latin America. Major correspondents include Jorge Campabadal, J. T. Spencer, and Kenneth J. Turnbull. Major topics include tropical biology, geography, meteorology, earth science, and forestry, and the National Science Foundation. English.

The Organization for Tropical Studies Records includes correspondence, administrative materials, reports, memoranda, and course materials from the early years of OTS. The focus of the collection is on the administrative structure of OTS and planning the course offerings in Latin America. Major correspondents include Jorge Campabadal, J. T. Spencer, and Kenneth J. Turnbull. Major topics include tropical biology, geography, meteorology, earth science, and forestry, and the National Science Foundation. The collection is organized into two series. The Administrative series contains correspondence from the North American Office, as well as correspondence with OTS administrators and faculty. In addition, the series has information on committees, sources of funding, founding documents, and topics related to the administration of OTS. The second series, Courses, has information on the planning, curriculum, course participants, critiques, and other aspects of educational programming offered by OTS.

Collection

Franklin Humanities Institute Records, 1999-2019 0.75 Linear Feet — 108 Gigabytes

The John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute at Duke University, often referred to as the Franklin Humanities Institute (FHI), is an interdisciplinary humanities center. The Franklin Humanities Institute Records include annual reports, meeting notes, position descriptions, and planning documents. Also includes photographs and video recordings of the event "From Slavery to Freedom Lab: Black Women Writers at Work."

The Franklin Humanities Institute Records include materials from the FHI's first two decades, particularly annual reports, bylaws, meeting notes, position descriptions, grant application materials, and planning documents. Also includes photographs and video recordings of the event "From Slavery to Freedom Lab: Black Women Writers at Work."

Collection

HASTAC Records, 1989-2017 10 Linear Feet

General office files including correspondence, website captures, articles, conference materials, clippings, bound publications, t-shirts, and other materials.
Collection

Educom records, 1963-1972 3.75 Linear Feet — 3750 Items

Educom (The Interuniversity Communications Council) was formed to provide universities an effective means of collaboration in their efforts to utilize the potential benefits of the emerging communications sciences for educational pursuits. Contains materials that reflect Duke University's membership in Educom and includes correspondence, Educom Bulletins, reports, and minutes. The collection ranges in date from 1963-1972.

Contains materials that reflect Duke University's membership in Educom and includes correspondence, Educom Bulletins, reports, and minutes. The collection ranges in date from 1963-1972.

Collection

University Writing Program records, 1997-2007 0.5 Linear Feet — 7 Items

The University Writing Program (UWP) promotes the role of writing in the undergraduate curriculum at Duke through three main programs: Writing 20; Writing in the Disciplines (WID); and the Writing Studio. Collection contains student essays from various Writing 20 classes and a clipping about the opening of the Writing Assistance Center in January 1979. Items in the collection range in date from 1997-2007.

Collection contains student essays from various Writing 20 classes and a clipping about the opening of the Writing Assistance Center in January 1979. Subjects present include the Duke Chapel Tower; medical ethics; prisoner's rights; religious pluralism; and 1950s America (citizenship and ideology). Items in the collection range in date from 1997-2007.

Collection
The University Program in Genetics and Genomics was founded in 1967 and serves as a primary training environment for students at Duke University interested in graduate Genetics and Genomics. This collection includes memoranda, correspondence, publicity material, printed matter and other records.

This collection includes memoranda, correspondence, publicity material, printed matter and other records.