Abortion Rights Association, Inc., photographs and pamphlets, 1972-1974 and undated
Navigate the Collection
- Abortion Rights Association of New York. Medical Responsibilities Committee, Lisa Unger Baskin Collection (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library), Archive of Documentary Arts (Duke University), and Sallie Bingham Center for Women's History and Culture
- Seven mounted photographs and five pamphlets from the Abortion Rights Association of New York, later known as the Abortion Rights Association, Inc., dating between 1972 and 1974. Pamphlets explain abortion procedures, clinic and physician guidelines, and women's rights to abortion, largely designed to address and implement the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade. Photographs (which contain captions) include black-and-white images of tools used in self-induced abortions; coroner's office photographs of deceased women following self-induced abortions; morgue photographs of infanticide victims; and images of fetuses in utero.
- 1.0 Linear Foot
- Materials in English
- Collection ID:
- Scope and content:
Collection consists of a set of seven mounted photographs, apparently intended for exhibition, and a set of five pro-choice pamphlets created by the Abortion Rights Association of New York (later known as Abortion Rights Association, Inc.). The photographs include coroner's office photographs of deceased women following self-inflicted abortions; morgue photographs of infanticides; equipment and tools used in self-inflicted abortions; and fetuses in utero, one with deformed brain. Author of the included captions is unknown. The pamphlets, written to assist New York physicians and practioners implementing the Supreme Court Roe v. Wade ruling, address women's rights to clinical abortions, abortion laws, counseling and guidance on policies, and references to New York abortion clinics and practitioners.
- Biographical / historical:
The Abortion Rights Association of New York, later known as the Abortion Rights Association, Inc., was based in New York City and advocated for women's rights to legal access to medical abortions. The group published several pamphlets outlining women's rights to abortion and listing abortion providers in New York State.
- Acquisition information:
- The Abortion Rights Association, Inc., photographs and pamphlets were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book Manuscript Library as a purchase from Lisa Baskin in 2015.
- Processing information:
Processed by RL Staff, Jan. 2017
Accessions described in this collection guide: LUB-MSS-2015-0050
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- General note:
Forms part of the Lisa Unger Baskin Collection. Lisa Baskin noted that she originally received these items from Dr. Thomas Plaut, a member of the Medical Responsibilities Committee in the Abortion Rights Association of New York.
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
- Abortion -- Law and legislation
Abortion services -- New York (State)
Abortion -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Abortion -- Pictorial works
Infanticide -- Pictorial works
Fetus -- Physiology -- Pictorial works
- Lisa Unger Baskin Collection (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
Archive of Documentary Arts (Duke University)
Sallie Bingham Center for Women's History and Culture
Baskin, Lisa Unger, former owner
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
- Terms of access:
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Abortion Rights Association, Inc., photographs and pamphlets, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.