Goodbye F. House, Old Cigarette Factory, 2006

Containers:
Scope and content:

A heavy fog envelops the Durham skyline as an excavator demolishes F House, where the pipe shop and other craft services were once located in the middle of the Old Cigarette Factory complex. The removal of F House allowed for the creation of a semi-enclosed courtyard, complete with a swimming pool and green spaces. The original V-shaped structure of Old Cigarette Factory, also known as Duke Factory, was once four stories tall before being "decapitated" in 1948 for a variety of reasons that make little sense today. The southern portion, the right-hand corner, of Duke Factory was built in 1884 by tobacco baron Washington Duke--his first of many ornate brick tobacco factories in Durham.

Using These Materials

Using These Materials Links:

Using These Materials


Collection restrictions:

Collection is open for research.

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.

Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.

Use & permissions:

The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.

Before you visit:
Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.