Frederick Edwards papers, 1883-1945
Navigate the Collection
- Edwards, Frederick, 1863-1948.
- Frederick Edwards was an Episcopal clergyman and president of the American Society for Psychical Research. Collection contains correspondence, journal (1884-1945, 52 v.), sermons, meditations, and poems, chiefly relating to psychical phenomena and Edwards' views on theology and spiritualism, particularly life after death. Also includes letters, 1933-1935, commenting on Franklin Roosevelt, the New Deal, and the social effects of the Depression. Includes World War I letters and also poetry of Edwards' son, Frederick Trevenen, who died during the war.
- 10 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- Scope and content:
The principal part of this collection is made up of the journals kept by Frederick C. Edwards between 1884 and 1945 reflecting Edwards's career as an Episcopal minister and his study of psychical phenomena, especially life after death. They contain letters, sermons, nature essays, book orders, and some clippings and financial records with numerous entries for 1933-1935 commenting on Franklin Roosevelt, the New Deal, and the effects of the Depression on the people Edwards saw and knew; and a considerable amount of material concerning Edwards's interest in spiritualism and psychical research, including mention of sittings with various mediums and a few transcriptions of these sittings. The unbound letters are those of Edwards's son, Frederick Trevenen Edwards, describing his experiences in World War I. There is a typed copy of these letters emended by Edwards, and they were published in 1954 by Elizabeth Satterthwait The collection also contains assorted volumes and notebooks including Trevenen Edwards's poetry and prose and Frederick Edwards's nature poems.
- Biographical / historical:
Episcopal clergyman and president of the American Society for Psychical Research.
- Acquisition information:
- The Frederick Edwards Papers were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book Manuscript Library as a gift in 1956-1958.
- Processing information:
Processed by Rubenstein Library Staff
Encoded by Noah Huffman, January 2010
Updated by Liz Adams, July 2014
Volumes 1-58 are bound and unboxed, while volumes 59-61 are located in boxes 1-9.
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
- World War, 1914-1918
Soldiers -- Correspondence
New Deal, 1933-1939
Future life -- Episcopal Church
Depressions -- 1929
- Episcopal Church -- Clergy
Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
Edwards, Frederick, 1863-1948.
Edwards, Frederick Trevenen
- United States -- Economic conditions -- 1918-1945
United States -- Economic policy -- 1933-1945
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
- Terms of access:
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Frederick Edwards Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University