Front Page records, 1975-2004 and undated
Navigate the Collection
- Front page (Newspaper : Raleigh, N.C.)
- The Front Page (1979-2006) was a newspaper dedicated to the LGBTQ+ community in North and South Carolina. Collection consists of a large clippings file, research and subject files, newsletters, book publicity, correspondence, including letters to the editor, administrative records, a "Kill" box file, mailing lists, advertising layouts, photographs, a reader survey, faxes, some writings submissions, flyers, press releases, and files of other gay and lesbian publications. Other items include T-shirts and posters. Topics represented include early research on AIDS, gay rights, resources for the community, legal and political issues, and pride events across the two states; there are also papers related to local activists and Front Page staff Lee Mullis and Jim Duley.
- 113.4 Linear Feet
- Materials in English
- Collection ID:
- Scope and content:
Collection consists of materials used in production of the newspaper, specifically a large clippings file, flyers, newsletters, press releases, book PR, incoming correspondence, a "Kill" box file, some clippings organized by subject, papers centered on Lee Mullis and Jim Duley, a reader survey, faxes, some submissions, and a large number of other gay and lesbian publications.
The addition (2003-0036) (26,300 items; 43.5 lin. ft; dated 1975-2001 and undated) consists of periodicals, directories, clippings, press releases, advertising proofs, brochures, and other materials related to production of The Front Page and/or to gay/lesbian organizations, issues, and events throughout the U.S. Also includes subject and correspondence files; numerous issues of North Carolina Anvil from the late 1970s-early 1980s; a collection of drag photographs; direct mail materials; and several The Front Page, gay/lesbian, and event-themed t-shirts.
Addition (2008-0065) (2,500 items; 6 lin. ft.; 1970s-2006) includes reader surveys (mostly dated 1992); correspondence between readers and The Front Page; printed materials; gay pride and AIDS awareness posters; and miscellaneous materials and items.
Addition (2008-0245) (1,800 items; 2.4 lin. ft.; dated 1970s-1990s) contains research files; letters to the editor, 1980-1987; internal records; mailing lists; and printed materials. Several research files relate to early research and publicity of AIDS and the gay community in the 1980s.
Addition (2008-0287) (1,350 items; 1.8 lin. ft.; dated 1980-2004) includes organizational files, publications, and clippings from gay/lesbian associations and events.
- Biographical / historical:
Founded by Jim Baxter in 1979 and based in Raleigh, North Carolina, The Front Page was a weekly newspaper devoted to the LGBTQ+ community in North and South Carolina. Its last issue was published in May 2006, after which it was absorbed by Charlotte-based newspaper Q.
- Acquisition information:
- The Front Page records were received as a gift by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book Manuscript Library in 1999, 2003, and 2008.
- Processing information:
Preliminary processing by Lisa Stark, April 2000.
Additions processed and described by Elizabeth Arnold, Kate Crassons; Ann Langford; Danielle McGregor; Noah Huffman; Meghan Lyon, 2003-2009.
This collection has been given some core processing: most materials may not have been ordered and described beyond their original condition.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
- AIDS (Disease) -- United States -- History
Female impersonators -- United States
Gay and lesbian rights
Gay and lesbian studies -- Periodicals
Gay community -- United States
Gay rights -- North Carolina
Gay rights -- South Carolina
Gays -- North Carolina
Gays -- South Carolina
Homosexuality -- Southern States
Homosexuality -- United States -- Periodicals
Lesbians -- North Carolina
Lesbians -- South Carolina
Lesbian community -- United States
Transsexualism -- United States
Transsexuals -- United States
- North Carolina anvil (Newspaper : Durham, N.C.)
Front page (Newspaper : Raleigh, N.C.)
- North Carolina -- Social conditions -- 20th century
South Carolina -- Social conditions -- 20th century
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Collection is open for research.
- Terms of access:
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], The Front Page records, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.