W. M. (William Moore) Gorman papers, 1940s-1980s
Navigate the Collection
- Gorman, W. M. (William Moore), 1923-
- William Gorman (1923-2003) was an emeritus fellow at Nuffield College. This collection documents his professional life through his correspondence, writings, and research. It forms part of the Economists' Papers Archive.
- 42 Linear Feet
- Material in English.
- Collection ID:
- Scope and content:
This collection includes the professional correspondence, writings, unpublished notes, research reports, and other papers that document the academic career and research of Gorman. His writings include typescripts and handwritten manuscripts of published research. The correspondence segment chiefly holds letters of reference and correspondence received from colleagues.
- Biographical / historical:
William Moore "Terence" Gorman (1923-2003) was a white Irish academic economist who was raised in Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) for the first few years of life after being born in Letterkeen, Ireland. He graduated from Trinity College Dublin with degrees in economics (1948) and mathematics (1949) and taught at the University of Birmingham (1949-1962), Oxford University (1962-1967; 1979-1990), and the London School of Economics (1967-1979). He made contributions to general equilibrium theory and consumer theory, and he was president of the Econometric Society in 1972. He served in the Royal Navy during World War II and was married to Dorinda Gorman.
- Acquisition information:
- The W. M. (William Moore) Gorman papers were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library as a gift in 1998.
- Processing information:
Processed by Don Sechler, May 1998.
Encoded by Noah Huffman, April 2010.
Accession described in this finding aid: 1998-0278.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Access restricted. Collection requires additional arrangement, description, and/or screening because it has been minimally processed. Contact Research Services for more information.
Access note. Some materials in this collection are electronic records that may need to be reformatted. Access copies of electronic records require special equipment. Contact Research Services for access.
- Terms of access:
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the Rubenstein Library's Citations, Permissions, and Copyright guide.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], W. M. (William Moore) Gorman papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Duke University.