Richard Henry Gregory papers, 1905-1940
Navigate the Collection
- Tobacconist, of Tarboro, N.C., and employee of the British-American Tobacco Company in China, 1905-1935. Diaries and photographs from Gregory's travels in China, 1905-1906, as an employee of the British-American Tobacco Company. Includes material on travels to Shanghai, Hankow, and the provinces of Honan, Hunan, Hupeh, and Kiangsi, including descriptions of the countryside and customs, and of tobacco culture in the region.
- 0.5 Linear Feet
- Materials in English
- Collection ID:
- Scope and content:
Diaries and photographs from Gregory's travels in China, 1905-1906, as an employee of the British-American Tobacco Company. Includes material on travels to Shanghai, Hankow, and the provinces of Honan, Hunan, Hupeh, and Kiangsi, including descriptions of the countryside and customs, and of tobacco culture in the region.
- Biographical / historical:
Richard Henry Gregory, tobacconist of Tarboro, N.C., traveled to China from 1905 to 1906 on behalf of the British-American Tobacco Company. Gregory served as head of the company's Leaf Department in China. In 1912, Gregory married Hattie B. Arrington and together the couple raised two children while living in Shanghai--John, who died during childhood diptheria, and Jane. Gregory made his home in China until his retirement in 1935.
- Acquisition information:
- Gift, 1974
- Processing information:
Processed by: Rubenstein Library Staff
Encoded by: Noah Huffman, July 2012
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS and local Style Guide.
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
- Terms of access:
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], in the Richard Henry Gregory Papers, 1905-1940, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.