Mooresville Mills records, 1893-1962 and undated
Navigate the Collection
- Mooresville Mills
- Manufacturer of cotton, wool, and synthetic fabrics, originally located in Mooresville, NC. Correspondence, minutes of meetings of stockholders and of directors, audit reports, financial statements, stock records, and general and subsidiary account books of a Mooresville, N.C., manufacturer of cotton, wool, and synthetic fabrics, draperies, upholstery, toweling, and wearing apparel, which was absorbed by Burlington Industries in 1955.
- 20.4 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- Scope and content:
Records of a firm established in 1893 as Mooresville Cotton Mills by J. E. Sherrill and others, and later becoming a manufacturer of cotton, wool, and synthetic fabrics, draperies, upholstery, toweling, and clothing. The firm was absorbed by Burlington Industries in 1955. Included is a "historical file" of printed and typed articles; selected documents, 1914-1935, containing financial data; and photographs of employees, offices, and aerial photographs of the plant. There are also some legal documents relating to the firm's charter, receivership, and bylaws.
There are extensive minutes, 1893-1955, 3 vols., of meetings of stockholders and the board of directors; minutes, 1936-1951, of the executive committee of the board of directors; audit reports, 1921-1954; and financial statements, 1932-1933, 1937-1955. Stock records include common stock ledgers, 1893-1923, 5 vols.; a preferred stock ledger, 1917-1923; stock lists and miscellaneous records, 1897-1955; preferred stock certificates, 1917-1942; common stock certificates, 1893-1955; bonds for lost certificates, 1946-1955; broadsides for the issuance of preferred stock, 1923, and for a renewal, 1926. Appraisals of the corporation are dated 1935, 1946, and 1948. Account books include a journal and ledger, 1914-1916; cashbooks, 1905-1909, 2 vols.; cash journals, 1912-1913, 1921-1926, 3 vols.; check and deposit registers, 1948-1954, 3 vols.; cloth and towel inventories, 1936-1942, 1948-1949, 9 vols.; and a cost ledger, 1954. Unbound accounting records include inventories, 1933-1939, 1960-1962; local, state, and federal tax records, 1893-1956; and construction contracts and records, 1958-1960. There is also fragmentary correspondence, 1952-1955, for the towel division, the decorative fabrics division, the apparel fabrics division, and for William J. Fullerton who held various offices principally in merchandising and sales. For online images of the mill complex and its related mill village, see this website sponsored by the mill village association: Mooresville Mill slideshow.
- Acquisition information:
- The Mooresville Mills Records were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book Manuscript Library as a gift in 1966.
- Processing information:
Processed by Rubenstein Library staff
Encoded by Ted Holt and Paula Jeannet, August 2008
Accession 66-054 is described in this finding aid.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Collection is open for research.
- Terms of access:
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Mooresville Mills Records, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University