Frances D. Acomb papers, 1953 - 1975
Navigate the Collection
- Acomb, Frances Dorothy, 1907-
- Frances D. Acomb (1907-1984) served as a professor of history at Duke University from 1945 to 1975. She specialized in French history. The Acomb papers contain correspondence, memoranda, manuscripts, and printed matter dealing with Acomb's study of European history, particularly Jacques Mallet Du Pan; as well as the Duke University chapter of the American Association of University Professors, the American Association of University Women, and other professional organizations. English.
- 0.5 Linear Feet
- Collection ID:
- University Archives Record Group:
- 29 -- Papers of Faculty, Staff, and Associates
29 -- Papers of Faculty, Staff, and Associates > 02 -- Individuals
- Scope and content:
The papers contain correspondence, memoranda, manuscripts, and printed matter dealing with Acomb's study of modern European history, particularly Jacques Mallet Du Pan. Acomb's memberships in the Duke University chapter of the American Association of University Professors and the American Association of University Women are documented through minutes and other materials.
- Biographical / historical:
Frances Dorothy Acomb was born in Donora, Pa. in 1907. She earned a B.A. from Wellesley College (1928), an M.A. from Smith College (1932), and a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago (1943). After teaching history in high schools and colleges from 1929-1944, Acomb worked as a historian in the War Department from 1944 to 1945. She served as a Professor of History at Duke University in 1945 until her retirement in 1975. She published the book, Mallet du Pan (1749-1800); a career in political journalism, in 1973. In addition, Acomb participated in a number of professional organizations, including the American Association of University Professors, the American Association of University Women, the American Historical Association, and the Society for French Historical Studies. Frances Acomb died on January 19, 1984.
- Acquisition information:
- The Frances D. Acomb Papers was received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1990.
- Processing information:
Processed by University Archives staff
Encoded by Jill Katte, January 2005
Items are arranged alphabetically.
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult University Archives, Duke University.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Duke University permits students to inspect their education records and limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
- Terms of access:
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Frances D. Acomb Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.