Alliance of Queer Undergraduates at Duke (AQUADuke) records, 1973-1995
Navigate the Collection
- Duke University. Alliance of Queer Undergraduates at Duke
- The Alliance of Queer Undergraduates at Duke (AQUADuke) is committed to making Duke a more positive and affirming place for LGBTQ students by providing programming and events targeted at increasing awareness and creating comfortable, welcoming social space. The materials in the collection include logbooks, flyers, agendas, newsletters, and financial records of the Gay Alliance and the Duke Gay and Lesbian Alliance. Subjects present include AIDS, legal issues, civil rights, and other matters. The dates of the material range from 1973-1995.
- 1.5 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- University Archives Record Group:
- 31 -- Student/Campus Life
31 -- Student/Campus Life > 05 -- Student Organizations – LGBTQ
- Scope and content:
The collection contains phone logbooks, flyers, agendas, newsletters, and financial records of the Gay Alliance, the Duke Gay and Lesbian Alliance, and the Duke Gay, Bisexual, and Lesbian Association. Subjects present include AIDS, legal issues, civil rights, local and national resources concerning gay issues, and other matters. The dates of the material range from 1973-1995.
The phone logbooks (1990-1992) are accounts of phone messages received by the organization, but they also acted as an information clearinghouse for the busy AQUADuke members serving as a central location to leave messages for other members providing insight into the organization's activities, concerns, and internal issues.
- Biographical / historical:
A LGBT student organization has been present on the Duke Campus since the founding of the Duke Gay Alliance in 1972, however it has seen many name changes over the years. Past names include: Duke Gay and Lesbian Alliance; Duke Gay, Bisexual, and Lesbian Association (1994); and Gothic Queers (1997). In 2002, the organization took the name Alliance of Queer Undergraduates at Duke (AQUADuke).
AQUADuke is formally recognized by the Duke Student Government, and is Duke University's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning student organization. The group is non-exclusive and welcomes all those that are out and about, closeted and curious, or just open-minded. Their mission and purpose is to provide a safe and supportive environment for students questioning their sexuality while spreading awareness of LGBTQ issues, providing support for LGBTQ members of our community, and dealing with issues facing the LGBTQ community on and off the Duke University campus.
In Spring 2008, AquaDuke merged with Duke Allies to form Blue Devils United.
- Acquisition information:
- The Alliance of Queer Undergraduates at Duke (AQUADuke) records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1995.
- Processing information:
Processed by Sherrie Bowser, August 2007
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, August 2007
Accessions A95-49, A95-60, A95-83 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
- Transgender college students -- North Carolina -- Durham
Homosexuality and education -- United States
Lesbian college students -- North Carolina -- Durham
Gay college students -- North Carolina -- Durham
Gay community -- North Carolina -- Durham
Bisexual college students -- North Carolina -- Durham
- Duke University -- Students -- Societies, etc.
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.
- Terms of access:
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Alliance of Queer Undergraduates at Duke (AQUADuke) Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.