President Richard H. Brodhead Reference collection, 2004-Ongoing
Navigate the Collection
- Duke University. University Archives
- The President Richard H. Brodhead Reference Collection, 2004-contains files of printed material. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.
- 0.5 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- University Archives Record Group:
- 01 -- General Information and University History
01 -- General Information and University History > 11 -- Reference Collections
- Scope and content:
The collection contains materials pertaining to Dr. Brodhead's inauguration as Duke's President, September 18, 2004.
- Biographical / historical:
Richard Halleck Brodhead became Duke's ninth president on July 1, 2004, after a 32-year career at Yale University. In addition to serving as president, he is a professor of English at Duke. Born in Dayton, Ohio, he graduated from Yale in 1968 and received his Ph.D. there in 1972. He then joined the Yale faculty, where he became the A. Bartlett Giamatti Professor of English and American Studies. After serving as chair of Yale's Department of English for six years, Brodhead was named dean of Yale College in 1993 and served in the post for 11 years until he assumed Duke's presidency. His writings as dean are collected in The Good of This Place: Values and Challenges in College Education. He was presented with the 2006 Wilbur Lucius Cross Medal by the Yale Graduate School Alumni Association.
- Acquisition information:
- The President Richard H. Brodhead Reference Collection was compiled by University Archives staff from a variety of sources.
- Processing information:
Processed by Tom Harkins, April 2010
Encoded by Molly Bragg, July 2011
Accession is described in this finding aid.
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Collection is open for research.
- Terms of access:
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], President Richard H. Brodhead Reference Collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.