Duke Student Government records, 1960-2019
Navigate the Collection
- Duke University. Student Government
- The Duke Student Government (DSG) replaced the existing student government, Associated Students of Duke University (ASDU), in 1993. DSG is the governing body of Duke undergraduate students and acts as the principal liaison between them and the University administration. It presents students' views on the affairs of the University community, appoints students to University and Board of Trustees committees, and oversees and allocates funds to student clubs and organizations. The Duke Student Government Records contain materials of both the DSG its organizational predecessor, Associated Students of Duke University (ASDU). Records consist of correspondence, legislation, minutes, reports, printed matter, judicial decisions, charters, memoranda, speeches, receipts, vouchers, and other materials, and document student governance and political activity, organizations, events planning, housing, and interaction with Duke University administration and the Board of Trustees.
- 31 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- University Archives Record Group:
- 31 -- Student/Campus Life
31 -- Student/Campus Life > 02 -- Student Organizations-Government
- Scope and content:
The Duke Student Government Records contain materials of both the Duke Student Government (DSG, formed in 1993), and its organizational predecessor, the Associated Students of Duke University (ASDU, formed in 1967). Records consist of correspondence, legislation, minutes, reports, printed matter, judicial decisions, charters, memoranda, speeches, receipts, vouchers, and other materials. The collection documents a broad spectrum of student social life, including student governance and political activity, organizations, events planning, housing, and interaction with Duke University administrative officers, offices, and the Board of Trustees.
- Biographical / historical:
The Duke Student Government (DSG) replaced the existing student government, Associated Students of Duke University (ASDU), in 1993 under a new organization in which the legislative and executive branches were consolidated. DSG is the governing body of the undergraduate students at Duke University and acts as the principal liaison between the undergraduate student body and the administration. It presents the students' views on the affairs of the University community, passes resolutions on the students' behalf, and appoints students to all appropriate University and Board of Trustees committees. It also oversees, charters, and allocates funds to student clubs and organizations.
- Acquisition information:
- The Duke Student Government Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer from 2001-2023.
- Processing information:
Preliminary inventory compiled by Sara Busija and Jill Katte, March 2005
Processed by Michael Shumate and Julia Eads, April 2013
Encoded by Dean Jeffrey, April 2006
Updated by Sherrie Bowser, July 2008, and by Michael Shumate, April 2013
Accessions UA 2001-37, UA 2001-51, UA 2003-0041, UA 2005-0052, and UA 2008-0046 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Accession UA2022-0061 added and finding aid updated by April Blevins, November 2022
Accession UA2023-0056 added by April Blevins, October 2023
Arranged in order by accession number, except that in all cases Board of Trustees materials have been transferred to the Board of Trustees Series, housed at the end of the collection.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
- Student participation in administration
- Duke University -- Students -- Political activity
Duke University -- Student housing
Duke University -- Students
Duke University -- Students -- Social life and customs
Duke University. Board of Trustees
Associated Students of Duke University
Duke University. Student Government
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Access restricted. Collection includes materials from the Duke University Board of Trustees. Records of the University's Board of Trustees which have been in existence for at least fifty years are available for scholarly research with the permission of the University Archivist. Access to records which have been in existence for less than fifty years shall be granted only by special permission, in writing, from the Board of Trustees. Contact Research Services for more information.
Access note. Some materials in this collection are electronic records that require special equipment. Contact Research Services with questions.
- Terms of access:
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Duke Student Government Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.