Facilities Management Department records, 1925-ongoing

Digital Materials

View — Facilities Management Department records, 1925-ongoing

Navigate the Collection

Using These Materials Teaser

Using These Materials Links:

Using These Materials


Restrictions:
For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records...
More about accessing and using these materials...

Summary

Creator:
Duke University. Facilities Management Department
Abstract:
The Facilities Management Department (FMD) is responsible for the maintenance, repair and minor alteration of the campus facilities. Collection contains material pertaining to the operations of the Facilities Management Department (FMD) including a 1990/1991 annual report, committee minutes, materials related to the restoration of the stained glass windows in the Chapel, and architectural drawings from the Trumbauer firm of many campus buildings.
Extent:
36 Linear Feet
6.75 Gigabytes
Language:
Material in English
Collection ID:
UA.10.05.0002
University Archives Record Group:
10 -- Executive VP and Treasurer & Administration (Business and Finance)
10 -- Executive VP and Treasurer & Administration (Business and Finance) > 05 -- Facilities

Background

Scope and content:

Collection contains material pertaining to the operations of the Facilities Management Department (FMD). Materials include the 1990/1991 annual report, committee minutes, significant materials related to the restoration of the Duke Chapel stained glass windows, including condition reports by Dieter Goldkuhle, color slides of the conservation, and rubbings of the windows, as well as original architectural drawings of many campus buildings created by the Horace Trumbauer Firm, for which African American architect Julian Abele was the chief designer.

Biographical / historical:

The Facilities Management Department (FMD) is responsible for the maintenance, repair and minor alteration of the campus facilities. FMD employees are ready to respond to urgent or specialized needs, and provide valuable service for basic maintenance and repair programs. They are also able to provide timely and flexible renovation services of moderate scope. FMD has also been known as Facilities Planning and Management.

Several campus buildings have undergone name changes since construction, such as the naming of the Indoor Stadium as Cameron Indoor Stadium, and the Gymnasium Building as Card Gym. In 1930, the Classroom Building was named the Carr Building, for Julian S. Carr, in recognition of his gifts to then-Trinity College. In 2018, the Board of Trustees voted to remove Carr's name from the building on the recommendation of a committee formed by President Vince Price at the request of the Department of History, based on acknowledgement of Carr's white supremacist activities and views.

Acquisition information:
The Facilities Management Department records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1995-2006, 2008, 2010, 2017, and 2018.
Processing information:

Processed by Sherrie Bowser, October 2007

Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, November 2007

Updated by Sherrie Bowser, August 2008

Updated by Kim Sims, June 2010

Updated by Molly Bragg, August 2011

Accessions were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.

Accession UA2017.0013 was processed and finding aid was updated by Tracy M. Jackson, March 2017.

Accession UA2018.0012 added by Tracy M. Jackson, September 2018.

Accession UA2016.0015 and UA2016.0047 added by Tracy M. Jackson, July 2021.

Rules or conventions:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Contents

Using These Materials

Using These Materials Links:

Using These Materials


Restrictions:

For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.

Some materials in this collection contain electronic records that have been migrated to a library server. Digital use copies can only be accessed onsite in the Rubenstein Library Reading Room. Contact Research Services for access.

Terms of access:

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Before you visit:
Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
Preferred citation:

[Identification of item], Facilities Management Department Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.