Martha Louise Kindel scrapbook and photographs, 1930-1933
Navigate the Collection
- Kindel, Martha Louise
- Martha Louise Kindel was a student at the Woman's College at Duke University from 1930-1933. The collection includes a scrapbook created by Kindel during her three years at Duke as well as loose photographs of her dorm room and friends.
- 1.2 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- University Archives Record Group:
- 30 -- Student and Alumni Papers and Materials
30 -- Student and Alumni Papers and Materials > 01 -- Individuals
- Scope and content:
The scrapbook includes letters Kindel received prior to her freshman year from the YWCA chapter at the Woman's College as well as the Women's Student Government Association. Also included are ephemera related to campus athletics, dances, and other social events, items from Greek life events, dried flowers, ribbons, Kindel's library card, and calling cards from others. There are attached photographs of Woman's College students and campus and loose photographs of the interior of a dorm room on the Woman's College campus, unidentified individuals, and the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. It also includes items related to her future husband, Fred Craven, while he was a student at North Carolina State University.
- Biographical / historical:
Martha Louise Kindel, from Raleigh, N.C., was a student at the Woman's College at Duke University from 1930-1933. Known to her friends as "Muff," she was a member of the following: Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, the Distaff (the publication of the Woman's College), Taurian Players (drama), and the Chronicle (student newspaper). She was also Vice President of the Junior Big Sisters and served on the May Day Committee. She married Fred Craven, also of Raleigh, in 1939. They had 4 children. Kindel passed away in 1979 at age 64.
- Acquisition information:
- The Martha Louise Kindel Scrapbook and Photographs were received by the University Archives as a gift in 2013.
- Processing information:
Processed by Kimberly Sims, December 2013
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, December 2013
Accession UA2013.0039 is described in this collection guide.
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Collection is open for research.
- Terms of access:
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Martha Louise Kindel Scrapbook and Photographs, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.