Office of Licensing and Ventures records, 1957-1988
Navigate the Collection
- Duke University. Office of Licensing and Ventures
- The Office of Licensing and Ventures serves Duke University and its Medical Center and is responsible for commercially-sponsored research, patents and licenses, new venture activity, corporate gifts, and corporate vending relationships. Contains the case files, correspondence, and records of medical, chemical, and engineering patents submitted by Duke University personnel from 1957 to 1988.
- 14 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- University Archives Record Group:
- 10 -- Executive VP and Treasurer & Administration (Business and Finance)
10 -- Executive VP and Treasurer & Administration (Business and Finance) > 04 -- Financial Services
- Scope and content:
The collection contains case files, correspondence, and records of medical, chemical, and engineering patents submitted by Duke University personnel from 1957 to 1988. These patents were processed by University Counsel and the Patent Administration Office.
All case files submitted were numbered consecutively and also given a code derived from the patent application submitter's name and sequence of individual applications. These case files are split into at least two groups, listed below as the Contents List and as part of Accession UA2014.0082, but are part of the same sequence.
- Biographical / historical:
The Office of Licensing and Ventures (OLV) serves Duke University and its Medical Center and is responsible for commercially-sponsored research, patents and licenses, new venture activity, corporate gifts, and corporate vending relationships. Prior to the establishment of the CVD, patents were processed by the Patent Administration Office and University Counsel, the Office of Science and Technology, the Office of Technology Transfer, University Patent Policy Committee, and the Office of Corporate and Venture Development (CVD).
- Acquisition information:
- The Patent Administration Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1987 and 2014.
- Processing information:
Processed by Emily Glenn, November 2002
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, January 2007
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
- Patent licenses
- Duke University. Patent Administration Office
Duke University. Patent Policy Committee
Duke University. Office of Science and Technology
Duke University. Office of Technology Transfer
Duke University. University Counsel
Duke University. Office of Licensing and Ventures
Duke University. Office of Corporate and Venture Development
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Materials are closed. Please contact the University Archives regarding how to obtain access.
- Terms of access:
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Office of Licensing and Ventures Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.