Mary Robinson papers, 1948-2010 (bulk 1985-2000)
Navigate the Collection
- Robinson, Mary
- Mary Robinson was a 1949 graduate of the Woman's College at Duke University. Robinson was also member of the White Duchy, the women's equivalent of the Red Friars honorary society. Collection contains material pertaining to the White Duchy and her 1949 classmate and fellow White Duchy member, Nancy Hanks, eventual head of the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Council on the Arts, 1969-1977.
- 0.5 Linear Feet
- Material in English
- Collection ID:
- University Archives Record Group:
- 30 -- Student and Alumni Papers and Materials
30 -- Student and Alumni Papers and Materials > 01 -- Individuals
- Scope and content:
Contains material pertaining to the Order of the White Duchy and Nancy Hanks. Materials present include correspondence between Mary Robinson and Nancy Hanks, rituals surrounding the White Duchy; the Lucky Number, the newsletter of the White Duchy; clippings concerning the death of Nancy Hanks; the creation of the Nancy Hanks Center; and color photographs and slides documenting reunions, the Cashiers, North Carolina home of Nancy Hanks, and bequests to the Museum of Art from the estate of Hanks.
- Biographical / historical:
Mary Robinson was a 1949 graduate of the Woman's College at Duke University. While at Duke she was honored with a membership in the Order of the White Duchy where she met fellow Class of '49 member Nancy Hanks. Nancy Hanks went on to become head of the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Council on the Arts. Robinson, Hanks, and other Duchy members of their class became lifelong friends and held reunions whenever possible.
- Acquisition information:
- The Mary Robinson Papers were received by the University Archives as a gift in 2008.
- Processing information:
Processed by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Encoded by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Accession UA2008-19 is described in this finding aid.
- Physical location:
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.
Using These Materials
- Using These Materials Links:
Using These Materials
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the University Archives to use this collection.
Collection is open for research.
- Terms of access:
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Before you visit:
- Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
- Preferred citation:
[Identification of item], Mary Robinson Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.