Norman Underwood library building records, 1901-1902

Navigate the Collection

Using These Materials Teaser

Using These Materials Links:

Using These Materials


Restrictions:
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke...
More about accessing and using these materials...

Summary

Creator:
Underwood, Norman
Abstract:
Norman Underwood was the contractor in charge of the construction of the Trinity College Library. The collection consists of receipts and bills made out to Norman Underwood for materials and labor related to the construction of the library on East Campus. There is also some very limited correspondence regarding these bills and receipts, as well as a contract for materials. The majority of the companies and individuals named in the receipts were located in Durham, and included contractors, suppliers, hardware and supply stores, pharmacies, and rail companies; several companies and individuals were located outside Durham, including Raleigh, Goldsboro, Chattanooga, TN, and Atlanta, GA. The receipts and bills detail materials, prices, contractors, and business names used in the construction of the library.
Extent:
0.5 Linear Feet
Language:
Materials in English
Collection ID:
UA.10.05.0006
University Archives Record Group:
10 -- Executive VP and Treasurer & Administration (Business and Finance)
10 -- Executive VP and Treasurer & Administration (Business and Finance) > 05 -- Facilities

Background

Scope and content:

The collection consists of receipts and bills made out to Norman Underwood for materials and labor related to the construction of the library on East Campus. There is also some very limited correspondence regarding these bills and receipts, as well as a contract for materials. The majority of the companies and individuals named in the receipts were located in Durham, and included contractors, suppliers, hardware and supply stores, pharmacies, and rail companies; several companies and individuals were located outside Durham, including Raleigh, Goldsboro, Chattanooga, TN, and Atlanta, GA. The receipts and bills detail materials, prices, contractors, and business names used in the construction of the library.

Biographical / historical:

Norman Underwood was the contractor in charge of the construction of the Trinity College Library. He was born in Ohio on September 2, 1862 and moved to Durham, N.C. in about 1897. Having worked in construction for many years, he started his own contracting firm in 1901. In addition to the library building, he contracted for several other buildings for Trinity College, including Craven Memorial Hall and the West Duke Building, as well as several buildings in Durham and for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Active in civic duties, Mr. Underwood married Elsie E. Ward of Ohio and had five children: May Almina Underwood Rigsbee, Norman Bruce, Harrison Aubrey, Daniel Maurice, and Robert Ward. He died on June 17, 1930.

The Trinity College Library was built in 1901 and 1902. Prior to that time, the Library did not have a dedicated building and instead housed books and a reading room in a shared building. In 1900, James Buchanan Duke gave the college some money to build a library, following Benjamin Duke's gift for a library endowment the previous year. Ground was broken for the new building in July 1901 and it was expected to be complete by the end of the school year. The winter of 1901-1902 was a hard winter for building, and the completion of the building was delayed until December 1902. Over the Christmas holidays, the books, numbering about 11,000 volumes, were moved from the old library into the new building. The building was formally opened on February 23, 1903. In 1927, preparations began to move the library to the new West Campus. By then the books numbered about 100,000, and were moved to the new Women's College Library, opened in March 1927, before moving to the new General Library. In an agreement with Kittrell College, an all-black college in Vance County, the Trinity College library building would be moved to the Kittrell College campus and reassembled. The move was partially funded by a gift from Benjamin Duke, and the newly reassembled library building at Kittrell was named in his honor when it opened in 1929. The B. N. Duke Library, along with two other buildings moved from Trinity College to Kittrell College, burned down in 1972, and Kittrell College closed down in 1975.

Acquisition information:
The Norman Underwood library building records were acquired by the University Archives prior to 1985 by Mattie Underwood Russell.
Processing information:

Processed by: Tracy M. Jackson, November 2014.

Accessions described in this finding aid: UA2014.0063.

Physical location:
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Rules or conventions:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Subjects

Click on terms below to find related finding aids on this site. For other related materials in the Duke University Libraries, search for these terms in the Catalog.

Subjects:
Library buildings -- North Carolina -- Durham
Format:
Receipts (financial records)
Contracts
Names:
Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) -- Buildings
Duke University -- Buildings -- History -- 20th century
Trinity College (Durham, N.C.). Library
Underwood, Norman

Contents

Using These Materials

Using These Materials Links:

Using These Materials


Restrictions:

Collection is open for research.

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48-hours to retrieve these materials for research use.

Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.

Terms of access:

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Before you visit:
Please consult our up-to-date information for visitors page, as our services and guidelines periodically change.
Preferred citation:

[Identification of item], Norman Underwood Library Building Records, 1901-1902, University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.