Brown's Schoolhouse was established in 1838 in Randolph County, North Carolina. The school would go through iterations as Union Institute Academy, Normal College, and eventually Trinity College. The college relocated to Durham, North Carolina in 1892 and was renamed Duke University in 1924. This collection consists of administrative, academic, and financial records. Materials include accounting ledgers, roll books, student lists and rosters including lists containing the names of students from the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, minutes and resolutions, financial and annual reports, account statements, addresses, sermons, correspondence, writings of Braxton Craven, and Trinity College publications.
This artificial collection was assembled by library staff and donors. It contains administrative, academic, and financial records for Union Institute, Normal College, and Trinity College in Randolph County, North Carolina. The collection includes addresses and sermons, college publications, advertisements, and a small amount of writings and correspondence of Braxton Craven and students. Included are ledgers and roll books with records of operational expenses, student grades and fees, assignments, and syllabi. A ledger, "Teaching staff account book, 1859-1862," records some faculty and student activity during the Civil War and makes a few brief references to free Black people traveling with Confederate soldiers.
The collection also includes records of budgets, expenses, and accounts; minutes and resolutions for the Board of Trustees; financial, committee, and annual reports from the president, faculty, and treasurer; and lists with student names. One folder consists of lists with the names of students from the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. The collection includes a photocopy of an obituary for Will West Long.
Clippings and materials on the history of the college and Trinity, North Carolina are also included in the collection. Some materials in the collection are incomplete or fragmented.