Search

Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: University Archives Record Group 05 -- Facilities Remove constraint University Archives Record Group: 05 -- Facilities
Number of results to display per page
View results as:

Search Results

Collection

Facilities Management Department records, 1925-ongoing 36 Linear Feet — 6.75 Gigabytes

Online
The Facilities Management Department (FMD) is responsible for the maintenance, repair and minor alteration of the campus facilities. Collection contains material pertaining to the operations of the Facilities Management Department (FMD) including a 1990/1991 annual report, committee minutes, materials related to the restoration of the stained glass windows in the Chapel, and architectural drawings from the Trumbauer firm of many campus buildings.

Collection contains material pertaining to the operations of the Facilities Management Department (FMD). Materials include the 1990/1991 annual report, committee minutes, significant materials related to the restoration of the Duke Chapel stained glass windows, including condition reports by Dieter Goldkuhle, color slides of the conservation, and rubbings of the windows, as well as original architectural drawings of many campus buildings created by the Horace Trumbauer Firm, for which African American architect Julian Abele was the chief designer.

Collection
Norman Underwood was the contractor in charge of the construction of the Trinity College Library. The collection consists of receipts and bills made out to Norman Underwood for materials and labor related to the construction of the library on East Campus. There is also some very limited correspondence regarding these bills and receipts, as well as a contract for materials. The majority of the companies and individuals named in the receipts were located in Durham, and included contractors, suppliers, hardware and supply stores, pharmacies, and rail companies; several companies and individuals were located outside Durham, including Raleigh, Goldsboro, Chattanooga, TN, and Atlanta, GA. The receipts and bills detail materials, prices, contractors, and business names used in the construction of the library.

The collection consists of receipts and bills made out to Norman Underwood for materials and labor related to the construction of the library on East Campus. There is also some very limited correspondence regarding these bills and receipts, as well as a contract for materials. The majority of the companies and individuals named in the receipts were located in Durham, and included contractors, suppliers, hardware and supply stores, pharmacies, and rail companies; several companies and individuals were located outside Durham, including Raleigh, Goldsboro, Chattanooga, TN, and Atlanta, GA. The receipts and bills detail materials, prices, contractors, and business names used in the construction of the library.

Collection
The Operations and Maintenance Department (and the organizations and individuals who preceded the establishment of the department) was responsible for construction and upkeep of Duke University Buildings. The Operations and Maintenance Department Records include correspondence, plans, architectural drawings, blueprints, financial records, contracts, desk diaries, keys, and other materials related to Duke buildings. Prominent individuals represented in the collection include Frank Clyde Brown, S.W. Myatt, and Horace Trumbauer. Major subjects include the building and administration of Duke University, the planning of buildings and grounds on the Duke Campus, and the establishment of the Duke Construction Company to oversee construction on campus. English.

The Operations and Maintenance Dept. Records include correspondence, plans, architectural drawings, blueprints, financial records, contracts, desk diaries, and other materials related to the construction, maintenance, and use of the buildings of Duke University. The bulk of the collection details the extensive planning and construction of Duke's new West Campus in the 1920s and 1940s, as well as renovations and additions to the East Campus. Discussions with vendors and suppliers, architectural plans and blueprints, and the design of the grounds all contribute to the record of Duke's growth. The collection also includes diaries kept by what became the Operations and Maintenance Department. These record campus events over a nearly twenty year period.

Collection
The Physical Planning Department was responsible for arranging the construction and renovation of buildings and spaces on the Duke University campus. The collection primarily contains contracts, insurance bonds, and some related correspondence between Duke officials and construction companies and architects who built or renovated campus buildings. One general file consists of status reports on multiple campus building projects in the 1970s, and an estimate and plans for a proposed East Campus Recreation Center written by James A. Ward, University Architect and Director of Physical Planning.

The collection includes files on construction and renovation projects overseen by the Physical Planning Department. One general file contains a 1974 proposal for an East Campus Center for Physical Education and Recreation, written by James A. Ward, University Architect and Director of Physical Planning; as well as three work status reports on multiple campus building projects in 1975-1976. Another file includes a list of completed contracts that were removed from the Physical Planning Department vault in 1974. The remaining files contain contracts, insurance bonds, and some related correspondence between Duke University and construction companies or architects who worked on building and renovation projects around campus. Projects included the installation of a pneumatic tube system in Duke University Medical Center's Clinical Research Building, and the "Phytotron," an experimental plant growth chamber near the Biology building.

Collection
The Physical Plant Department was responsible for maintenance, housekeeping, repairs, and other operations on the Duke University campus. The collection contains general materials concerning university services, facilities, properties and buildings, including floor plans, memos, bus schedules, photographs, reports, and departmental newsletters. It also contains files specific to the Duke University Marine Laboratory, particularly in regard to plans and blueprints for the building of the oceanographic research vessel "Eastward."

The collection includes files on buildings and operations related to the responsibilities of the Physical Plant Department. The General Records series contains bus schedules, floor plans, memoranda, photographs, newsletters, reports, inventories, appraisals and other materials concerning University buildings, property, and facilities. Files include materials on the heating plant, the Duke Homestead, the Duke Quarry, and “The Physical Plant Gazette,” a departmental newsletter.

The Marine Laboratory series contains a number of folded blueprints and plans for the oceanographic research vessel “Eastward,” as well as information about European shipbuilding companies; and memos, notes, reports, and correspondence related to the planning and construction of the vessel.

Collection
Online
Although the exact provenance of the property plats is unknown, it is indicated on the reverse side of some plats that the surveys were used by A. C. Lee, Chief Engineer of the Duke Construction Company and the plats may have been created by the Atlantic Realty Company. This collection includes approximately 100 survey plats of Duke University properties prior to the construction on East Campus and West Campus from the years 1925-1926. Also included are plats representing the Duke Homestead from 1932 that were possibly drawn by V.A. Stewman.

This collection includes approximately 100 survey plats of Duke University properties prior to the construction on East Campus and West Campus from the years 1925-1926. Some plats represent part of what is now Duke Forest. The plats show details of the topography and terrain, roads and streets, bodies of water, trees and buildings. A key map is included. On the reverse side of some plats, it is indicated that the surveys were used by A. C. Lee, Chief Engineer of the Duke Construction Company and the plats may have been produced by the Atlantic Realty Company. Also included are plats representing the Duke Homestead from 1932 that were possibly drawn by V.A. Stewman. Topics include Duke Construction Company, East Campus, West Campus, Duke Forest and the Duke Homestead.

Drawings are pen and pencil on paper mounted to cloth, measuring approximately 23"x30", organized according to geographic locations The scale is approximately 50 feet to the inch.